"Romex Connectors"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwsnsons

I had recently heard of several contractors having difficulties whith their inspectors rejecting jobs because they installed two (2) 12-2g "Romex" NM-B cables in a metal, 3/8 two-screw cable connector in the load center enclosure, citing that only one cable is allowed in these connectors. I just had such an encounter myself. The connectors I use come in a box of 100 which is labeled "UL listed" and states on the label that they are to be used with "... 2 14-2 to 10-2 ..." cables (just part of the list). I have two questions: 1. Is there something new concerning "Romex connectors" behind the actions of these inspectors? 2. Assuming that it is indeed acceptable to use these connectors in this manner, what is the best approach to try to work through this with our inspectors?

[ August 29, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: cwsnsons ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: "Romex Connectors"

In my experience, it's only been a short while that the two cable capable metal romex clamps have been available. That was just this spring, and I was surprised by it, 'cause I didn't think it was possible until I read the manufacturer's info myself.

I can remember being gigged for them as far back as 1978.

I'd recommend contacting the inspector with the information you just described and offer to fax him the info on the side of the box.

G

My experience is dated and goes back to 1975. On my first job I put three NM's through one 3/4" Romex connector. The inspector admonished me and said there was a 2-NM's per connector limit. Since then I have always limited myself to 2 NM's per connector. My full-time experience stopped in 1994 and I am just getting back to contracting now after a workplace injury.

I had one client try to gig me for running more than two NM's through a drilled hole in a stud. He said there is a 2-NM per drilled hole limit. The inspector did not gig me there.

Finally, I did electrical service work for a nationwide electrical contractor in 1994 and my supervisor used to run a whole house full of NM's through on 2" romex connector when doing a subpanel upgrade. That was shocking to me! He never got gigged, but he was a handsome smooth-talking stud! All his jobs were inspected. Go figure. I went to work for the company because they paid me as an employee more than I charged as a contractor! It was a good paying gig and I never got gigged!

tonyi

I've used the Arlington NM94/95 (aka Hitlocks) plastic buttons with no problems...handy for metal boxes too.

The 95's are convenient in that they'll still take as little as single 14-2 when you've used up all the 1/2's and are left with 3/4's, yet can accept as high as a 6-3. Close to being a "universal" NM connector. And they go together quickly - no screws.

gwz2

Unless identified on the carton ( for two screw connectors ) for more than one cable per connector, one cable per connector is the maximum.

No sure which year, but about 1990 many of the msnufactures started noting on the cartons that two cables could be installed in one connector.

The original rule still stands, unless identified for more than one cable per connector, only one cable is permitted. 110.3(B)

cwsnsons

Just had an inspection, and I asked the AHJ about this issue. He said basically what's been mentioned here. I offered to photocopy the label on the box and post it inside the panel cover, he did say he would accept that. So I'm satisfied with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.