ROMEX IN AN E OCCUPANCY

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAy_347

I AM A DESIGNER FOR A MODULAR BUILDING CONTRACTOR IN TEXAS MODULAR BLDGS ARE STATE INSPECTED AND ARE REGULATED BY THE STATE. THE QUESTION CONCERNS A 5000 SF SCHOOL IN A SMALL TOWN THE CITY INSPECTOR IS CITING US FOR USING ROMEX INSTEAD OF CONDUIT. HE SAYS CONDUIT IS REQUIRED IN AN E
OCCUPANCY I HAVENT HAD TO USE IT IN OTHER OCCUPANCIES AND CANT FIND IN THE NEC WHERE IT SAYS OTHERWISE, AND HE WANTS ME TO SHOW HIM WHERE IT SAYS IN THE NEC THAT I CAN USE ROMEX IN THE NEC. WELL I DONT THINK THAT THE NEC SPECIFICALLY CALLS OUT THAT ROMEX ACCEPTACLE IN E OCC. ANY HELP OR COMMENTS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED

volt101

Re: ROMEX IN AN E OCCUPANCY

Jay,
Please turn caps off, it makes it appear that you are yelling. The following code article is from the 2005 NEC, the 2002 is the same.

334.10 Uses Permitted
Type NM, Type NMC, and Type NMS cables shall be permitted to be used in the following:
(1) One- and two-family dwellings.
(2) Multifamily dwellings permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12.
(3) Other structures permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12. Cables shall be concealed within walls, floors, or ceilings that provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute finish rating as identified in listings of fire-rated assemblies.

Jim

benaround

Re: ROMEX IN AN E OCCUPANCY

JAy 347,

That is not your responsablity it is the Inspectors job to cite violations 80.23 Also 90.7 in relating to equipment pre-listed etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.