romex in conduit -no? stripping off sheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperTone

I don't believe I can do this, but I seem to remember discussion about this. I want to feed a shed sub panel from a residence with 8/3 romex or NM in the basement, then strip off the sheathing after it enters the LB and down into the conduit underground 30 feet to the shed new sub panel. Detached structure - will drive a ground rod at shed. Can I use this type of wire in this setting if I strip off the outer sheathing where it is in the conduit? it would make my life much easier but I want to do it right in the end.

peter d

You can't do this. You must use conductors rated for wet locations like THWN or UF. The conductors inside of NM cable are not rated or marked for use in wet locations.

CopperTone

yea, thats what I though. would be much easier though. I'll just jbox it as it enters the basement and change type of conductors for underground. I can put uf cable in conduit though right? for protection reasons.

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
Why anyone would want to struggle pulling a cable through a conduit is beyond me...

I agree, although pulling a 12/2 UF through a 3/4 PVC should be cake, but 3 #12's would be easier.

In the OP's case I would definitely use individual THHN/THWN conductors. :)

CopperTone

yes a 4 conductor will be used, 8/3 has 4 conductors. the reason for the conduit is it has to go underneath 2 poured walkways so instead of just sleeves the customer wants continuous conduit. Here is what I'm going to do - whatever conductors are cheaper at the supply house I will use (thwn or uf)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
CopperTone said:
Here is what I'm going to do - whatever conductors are cheaper at the supply house I will use (thwn or uf)

Don't forget to factor in the extra labor involved for pulling the UF.

Status
Not open for further replies.