romex in pvc outdoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
inspector poped me on romex running through outdoor pvc he told me i had to change over to thhn for pool light HOW COME please explain :confused:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: romex in pvc outdoors?

Need more info: by outdoor PVC do you mean Schedule 80 PVC or "Sunlight Resistant" Schedule 40? Or was it buried?

By pool light, do you mean an in the pool light? I've only dealt with those which have a mile of SO cord prewired to the light. :)

peter d

channing, you're really scaring me with that question. :eek: If you are wiring pool lights, this really is an issue you should research before doing the installation. Thankfully, the inspector found your mistake.

NM cable cannot be used outdoors or in any wet location. It cannot be used for any outdoor branch circuits associated with pool wiring, among other restrictions.

Underground conduits are considered wet locations. Therefore, the conductor insulation for underground use in a raceway must have a "W" (wet) rating, like TH WN. THHN is usually dual rated as THHN/THWN.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Its a very basic rule that is in Article 100. Article 100 is the foundation of the NEC. The inspector did you a huge favor. Not all electricans are qualifed for every type of electrical work. I'll close this post. PM me if you want with your qualifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.