Romex Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz28

I have 2 questions:
1. Running 10-3 UF outside NOT in the ground but tacking is under my deck to hook to a pool pump. Can I drill a 1" hole in the floor joists of the deck and run the cable throught it or do I have to staple it?

2. If I can run the 10-3 through a drilled hole, can I put 12-2 UF in the same hole or does it need a seperate hole or a seperate staple?

Hope I did not confuse you!
THanks,

GG

Re: Romex Question

Is the wood pressure treated, what is the thickness of the wood, and are there any signs of termite damage?

zz28

Wood is pressure treated, they are 2X8 and there is not sign of termite damage. Home is treated every year for termites.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Your electrician will know the answer to your questions.

Depending on specifics covered in article 680, NM wiring methods may not be compliant at all.

"* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries.
Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Roger

zz28

No offense Roger but this IS an NEC question, and I do not have access to the code book at this time. I definatly did not mean for this to be a "how to" question.
I am a liscenced electrician by trade but have been out of the feild for several years because of promotions. Once again, no offense intended.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

No offense taken here, but without a code book you will never be able to understand the attempts to answers your questions, or to ask all the pertinent questions that these attempts will lead to.

It will still be best if you hire an electrician to help you with your project.

Roger

zz28

Thanks for the reply Roger.

The latest NEC book that I have at home was printed in '96. My new one is at work in my office. I was just looking for someone that might have an updated answer for the question.

Anyone else care to answer the question?

zz28

Uh, electricianmanscott:

We have a local pool distributor that provides all of the wire with the kit. Also my local inspector was consulted before any work began. ALSO local electrician tha works with the pool installer was consulted. ALL said to use UF. I cant find anything in the 96 code that says different.

wbalsam1

In New York State (other than NYC), the Residential Electrical Code -based on the 1999 NEC- does not permit UF cable to be used for the wiring of swimming pools, wading pools, hot tubs and spas, and hydromassage tubs whether permanently installed or storable. UF is permitted from a panelboard that supplies pool equipment from the service equipment to the panelboard only for existing feeder panelboards where the equipment grounding conductor is insulated or covered. Also, having to do with pool-associated motors from branch circuit OCPD to motor, UF is limited to use within buildings. Reference Table E4102.1 RCNYS

jwelectric

Originally posted by zz28:
Thanks for the reply Roger.

The latest NEC book that I have at home was printed in '96. My new one is at work in my office. I was just looking for someone that might have an updated answer for the question.

Anyone else care to answer the question?
Well zz28 I will try

Question 1
The drilling of holes in the joist of the deck would fall under the building code and is not addressed in the NEC except to say that if you should drill a hole this hole would be required to be one and one quarter inch back from the edgd.

300.4 (A) (1) Bored Holes. In both exposed and concealed locations, where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is installed through bored holes in joists, rafters, or wood members, holes shall be bored so that the edge of the hole is not less than 32 mm (1? in.) from the nearest edge of the wood member.

Question 2
This question has been answered for you by four different people. The answer will be found in 680. I don?t know which cycle you fall under so I am not sure which one to post so here it is from the ?05.

680.21 Motors.(A) (1) Any wiring method employed shall contain an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor sized in accordance with 250.122 but not smaller than 12 AWG.

If we can be of future help don?t hesitate to call on us.
:)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

GG,

Originally posted by GG:
I still need more info before I can answer your question zztop. That deck, is it spruce or birch?
what if it's Cedar or Cypress?
grinning-smiley-019.gif

Roger

electricmanscott

Originally posted by zz28:
Uh, electricianmanscott:

We have a local pool distributor that provides all of the wire with the kit. Also my local inspector was consulted before any work began. ALSO local electrician tha works with the pool installer was consulted. ALL said to use UF. I cant find anything in the 96 code that says different.
Uh zz,
You, your distributor (yeah that's where I'd get my electrical advice :roll: ), your local electrican, and your inspector are all in need of some serious NEC education.

zz28

I like friends. Freinds are good.

OK guys I submitt. Lets just try to get along. I never meant to ruffle any feathers but it looks like I did. Sorry!

I will do some reading in the newest NEC book on Monday and hopefully get all my questions answered.

Can't we just all get along???? :D

be4jc

Notches in the ends of joist Shall not exceed 1/4th the joist depth.
Holes Bored in Joist Shall NOT be w/in 2" of the top or bottom of the Joist, and the diameter of any such hole shall NOT exceed 1/3rd the joist depth. Notches in the top or bottom of the joist shall not exceed 1/6th the depth of the joist and shall not be located w/in the middle 1/3rd of the span. 97 UBC 2320.8.3, 2308.8.2 2003 IBC ;)

NO mention of species of wood :confused:

[ August 08, 2005, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: be4jc ]

Status
Not open for further replies.