Roof de-icing cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinglis

This question has two parts. Part one is my opinion and part two is a question about products. Feel free to comment on one or both.

Part 1 Ice buildup on troubled roof lines

From my perspective, ice buildup on rooflines is most often caused by poor insulation, poor ventilation or a combination of the two. The theory on ventilation is the heat loss through the insulation into an attic should be countered by proper ventilation that would keep the attic temperature the same as outside air temperature. If this is true then there should be no reason for snow to melt and create ice. This is a disputed fact by some that feel even though insulation/ventilation as all good the sun will melt the snow under some circumstances. My question to that is why do you see some black roof lines with no ice and some white roof lines with ice. I would think the black rooflines would attract more sunlight than the white and thus create more melting and ice buildup. I would like to test my theory on heat loss in these troubled areas with an IR scan in the early winter to detect heat loss from within the building. Do you think this will work?

Part 2 De-icing cables

In the past I have installed some residential de-icing systems that had a controller that sensed both ouside temperature and moisture in the eaves trough. This controller would only bring on the heating cables when the temperature was low and there was melting occuring naturally. I liked this system because it limited the run time on the cables to when it was truly needed. Is there such a thing available for commercial use?
A contractor is suggesting a cable that will only heat in the areas it is needed. Apparently the cable has the ability to heat at different sections along its length (based on temperature I think). He suggests with this cable it can be left on year round and it only heats when needed. Would this cable run constantly in the winter when the temperatures were below freezing?
I'm looking for ideas on cables and controllers for commercial use that will limit the amount of energy needed to keep troubled roof lines clear of ice.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
He suggests with this cable it can be left on year round and it only heats when needed. Would this cable run constantly in the winter when the temperatures were below freezing?
That would be a "self-limiting" type of heating cable. It will use enough current to keep the cable at its normal operating temperature. A lot of this cable will limit around 100?F so it will almost always use some current.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.