Roof setbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eros

Where can I find the "setback" rules/guidelines for installing solar on a roof and who enforces this. I seem to be getting conflicting info from different municipalities
thx

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Look first in the Fire and other building codes. These may be statewide or have significant local differences, especially where the local Fire Marshall has the authority to waive the requirements when the feel the purpose has been served anyway.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Where can I find the "setback" rules/guidelines for installing solar on a roof and who enforces this. I seem to be getting conflicting info from different municipalities
thx

And you will. Some AHJ's enforce fire code and some do not.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

Well, I'm not familiar with Michigan. But I would follow the other advice in this thread. Find out what the state fire code says, if it says anything, and then if there are differences between municipalities ask if that's a local ordinance. If you ask innocently about the differences you may find they go away somewhat over time?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
thx

If you are in Michigan, there should be no differences in codes from one municipality to another. Michigan adopted statewide consistency a couple code cycles ago.

The building and electrical code requirements can be found on the Internet if you are 'net savvy, or you can call the state directly.

For construction codes: 517-241-9313

This page has a list of other state phone numbers you may like to have:

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-76106-42245--,00.html

I have called the state several times with questions and found that they are very helpful. If the number I listed isn't the one you need, someone will get you to the person that can tell you the answer to your set back questions, and they will be reading the answer from the state regulations.

As I mentioned, the entire state has to follow the same rules with one small exception. Agriculturally zoned land doesn't have to follow codes. Other than that, the rules are the same from municipality to municipality.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
If you are in Michigan, there should be no differences in codes from one municipality to another. Michigan adopted statewide consistency a couple code cycles ago.

The building and electrical code requirements can be found on the Internet if you are 'net savvy, or you can call the state directly.

For construction codes: 517-241-9313

This page has a list of other state phone numbers you may like to have:

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-76106-42245--,00.html

I have called the state several times with questions and found that they are very helpful. If the number I listed isn't the one you need, someone will get you to the person that can tell you the answer to your set back questions, and they will be reading the answer from the state regulations.

As I mentioned, the entire state has to follow the same rules with one small exception. Agriculturally zoned land doesn't have to follow codes. Other than that, the rules are the same from municipality to municipality.

Lucky you. In Texas we have to contact every municipality and ask if they enforce fire code. Some do, some don't, and it makes a difference if the building in question is in the city limits or not or in the extended jurisdiction of the city, so we have to check the specific address.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Lucky you. In Texas we have to contact every municipality and ask if they enforce fire code. Some do, some don't, and it makes a difference if the building in question is in the city limits or not or in the extended jurisdiction of the city, so we have to check the specific address.

It used to be that way here, too. In fact, back in the day, if you wanted to work in Grand Rapids, a Michigan license was worthless, you had to have a Grand Rapids license. A Grand Rapids license was worthless outside the city of Grand Rapids.

That, fortunately, is no longer the case in Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.