Rooftop AC disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am creating plans for a residential solar installation, in which the building department wants me to place an AC disconnect on the roof. The AC disconnect will be a switch mounted in a junction box. How can I explain this on the plans? Can I just say "AC disconnect switch mounted in a junction box w/ a protective covering"? Or is there a better way of wording this?

Andy

Buck Parrish

Well if you say AC Disconnect. You're likely to get a gray pull out type switch like we use for AC Disconnects.

You could say 2 pole switch in WP Box w bubble cover

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hi,

I am creating plans for a residential solar installation, in which the building department wants me to place an AC disconnect on the roof. The AC disconnect will be a switch mounted in a junction box. How can I explain this on the plans? Can I just say "AC disconnect switch mounted in a junction box w/ a protective covering"? Or is there a better way of wording this?

Andy

If the inverter(s) is/are microinverter(s), simple connectors should satisfy the requirements of 690.15(A)(2).

pv_n00b

You have one of two choices, add just enough information to make the AHJ happy and let the contractor work out the details, or add a detail drawing showing a switch mounted in a NEMA box with specifications for both so the contractor knows exactly what to do.

Carultch

Until your post I was trying to figure out why the PV guy was messing around with rooftop HVAC equipment at all.

AC = Alternating Current
A/C = Air Conditioning

Or if you went to my middle school, A.C. means alternative classroom, which is their name for detention.

mpaiss

Rooftop AC disconnect

Two Qs:
1. What version of the NEC is adopted there? 690.12 addressees this automatically from 2014.

2. What city is this still required in? PM me if you’d rather not say publicly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.