Rope Size

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
When you guys are pulling large size feeders what size rope/drag line do you use?
If you have a job with lots and lots conduits do you re-use the same rope?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The rope size can vary with the available pulling force. About the smallest I have used is 1/2" and have used up to 7/8". The rope is re-used.
The rope also has to be a "static" type rope as the use of "dynamic" ropes is dangers because of the stored energy when a dynamic rope stretches.
Note these comments assume the use of power pulling equipment.

__dan

Banned
Double braid polyester, polyester is the low stretch material. Rope stretch stores energy which is dangerous, nylon and yellow poly stretch more. The pulling equipment will be rated for a minimum rope diameter it is made to work with, then try to look at the numbers for the pulling force of the run to see what you're dealing with.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Rope stretch stores energy which is dangerous, nylon and yellow poly stretch more.
True that. I had a rope break on me during about a 200' pull. BOOM!!! Sounded like a shotgun going off in the electrical closet.
I was amazed at how fast the rope shot out of the pipe.
It missed me but it did shake me up a bit.

Ron

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ive started using Mule tape in the last few years. I prefer it. Although I have never had it happen, I'm always paranoid about regular rope chewing threw a PVC 90.
In the deck we always use steel 90's with PVC so the rope isn't an issue. I can see the burn thing happening with standard PVC 90's. Way back when I was an apprentice old-timers used to tell stories about pulling with steel cables that would cut through aluminum elbows.:oops:

In the deck we always use steel 90's with PVC so the rope isn't an issue. I can see the burn thing happening with standard PVC 90's. Way back when I was an apprentice old-timers used to tell stories about pulling with steel cables that would cut through aluminum elbows.:oops:
I've got a great pic of a job we were on (not our crew, it was the MV contractor) with a rope cut right through a big PVC 90. I'll try and find it, I got it somewhere. But their setup was retarded, I don't think it would have happened with some common sense.