Rotary Phase Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterelect1

1st time dealing with a Rotary Phase Converter 208/240 1 ph input--- 240 volt ,3 phase output.

Any helpful input regarding past experience pro or con and any suggestions of possible problems, pitfalls, etc...

Thanks, John

ItsHot

art. 455

art. 455

Check out art. 455 and be sure to read the first fpn on selecting your convertor in regards to loads. I have used phase convertors. They are the trick when available system does not have 3 ph.! Pretty simple install, you'll need a starter/ and as you know you want energize your equipment, or try to until phase motor is locked in.The last one that I installed was for a big embroidery machine and bldg. did not have 3 ph.

brian john

On the units I have worked on the output voltage was like 240 VAC A to C, and 208 VAC A to B and 208 VAC B to C. But this is from a damaged memory...

jsharvey

We just installed one on a 120/240 single phase service to operate and elevator. The voltage on the output of the converter didn't match the elevator motors requirements, 208V 3 phase motor, and according to th elevator company it couldn't be rewired to accept the 240V output of the converter. Another thing that caused us problems was the elevator pump motor had a "smart starter", digital read outs of volts, amps the whole 9 yards. Problem here was the voltage and amps coming off the converter wasn't "balanced" enough for the starter so it would allow the motor to run for 5 seconds, then shut itself off! Another thing you may want to watch out for is a space issue, the one we installed had 2, 50 HP motors along with the main box about 3' square. As it was stated earlier watch out for the "high leg" on the converter. Make sure you get as much information about the equipment to be powered and the converter as you can, hopefully you can avoid the problems I ran into, didn't get my info until the day the equipment was here, ready to be installed.

J.S. Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.