Rough-In in Unfinished Basements

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It has always been the "policy" is this area that, on new construction, any basement area that has stud walls with standard spacing for wall cover, but unfinished, be roughed-in as a habital room.
Other than by local ordinance, does any one know of any Code, electrical or otherwise, that supports this policy ?

Hendrix

It has always been the "policy" is this area that, on new construction, any basement area that has stud walls with standard spacing for wall cover, but unfinished, be roughed-in as a habital room.
Other than by local ordinance, does any one know of any Code, electrical or otherwise, that supports this policy ?

Never heard of that in these parts :happysad:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

Are you saying the exterior walls only are framed up? Or is the basement framed in as separate rooms?
If the basement is split up into rooms then yes it needs to be roughed in cause you can bet if it isn't you will never get the call to come back and inspect it.
If it is just the exterior walls with no insulation I may be inclined to let it go.
But I would have to say why would you frame it in and not rough it electrically? It ain't like it is cost prohibitive.
But no... I know of no code section that says that.

iwire

Staff member
If the basement is split up into rooms then yes it needs to be roughed in cause you can bet if it isn't you will never get the call to come back and inspect it.

I could not disagree more. In my opinion you cannot inspect what might happen, you can not inspect to what may happen, you can't even inspect to what is going to happen.

To me this would be the same as police giving out speeding tickets ahead of time to supercar owners because they are likely to speed at some point.

I could not disagree more. In my opinion you cannot inspect what might happen, you can not inspect to what may happen, you can't even inspect to what is going to happen.

To me this would be the same as police giving out speeding tickets ahead of time to supercar owners because they are likely to speed at some point.

EXCEPTION: Someone, someday might want a neutral in a switchbox.:p

construct

I agree. Inspections are for the purpose of verifying compliance with what's been done. :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But I would have to say why would you frame it in and not rough it electrically? It ain't like it is cost prohibitive.

Possibly because the local zoning codes would have a problem with square footage of the house compared to the size of the lot if the basement was going to be habitable space? You could argue that the stud walls are there for support, but once you do the electrical rough-in you have tipped your hand. :)
Like not putting the plywood floor over the floor joists in the attic/mechanical space until after inspection so that the storage space is not counted in the square footage. (And, of course, I would never do that.:angel:)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Attic storage space is counted as sq. footage :?:jawdrop:
It was a "walk-in" attic / mechanical space under a high roof line next to the upstairs hallway. And, yes, if finished for storage it would have been counted.
A room with a ceiling above a certain height also was counted as if it were two stories.
Very paranoid zoning code trying to discourage McMansion renovations in an older residential area.

mwm1752

NEC requires separate rooms in an unfinished basement to contain at least 1 recepticle 210.52 G & 1 switched controlled oulet 210.70(1). The provisions for fire alarms should be met per IRC.. If you finish the exterior walls then the those wall should be considered finished & receptical spacing applies. The use of spray foam on the exterior would trigger a ignition barrier( most of the time drywall). With no finishes on the interior or exterior walls return to the first sentence. There are many triggers to how the basement is to be wired. Cannot control whether an owner finishes without proper permits later. Accurate inspection records will state the unfinished portion for future reference if done properly.

Last edited:

eprice

I always figured unfinished meant, well... unfinished. If the electrical rough isn't there, that's because it isn't finished :)

...If you finish the exterior walls then the those wall should be considered finished & receptical spacing applies...

But if the plans just say "unfinished basement", what is the required receptacle spacing? Until it is finished later and rooms are created and uses assigned to them, it will just be used as a storage area. The NEC does not require receptacles in a storage area. It makes sense to rough in the electrical before putting sheet rock on the exterior walls, because it will be a pain to do it later, but I don't think the code requires it.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong if a basement is finished without a permit and inspections, but that needs to be dealt with when it happens. If the mechanical space around the furnace and water heater are closed in without a permit and proper combustion air is not supplied, we have a problem. But I don't think we can require them to enclose them now and provide combustion air because it could be done wrong in the future.

mwm1752

I always figured unfinished meant, well... unfinished. If the electrical rough isn't there, that's because it isn't finished :)

But if the plans just say "unfinished basement", what is the required receptacle spacing? --- 1 per area as described -- NEC 210.52(G)

Then I would not expect the walls to have a finsh cover over them and duly note that on rough in inspection. IMO crawl spaces can be considered storage area's. The reasonable man's test can make appropriate judgements during inspections to help owners, EC's & GC's in questionable circumstances. Only when unreasonable request are made do we have these discussions.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

But if the plans just say "unfinished basement", what is the required receptacle spacing? Until it is finished later and rooms are created and uses assigned to them, it will just be used as a storage area. The NEC does not require receptacles in a storage area. It makes sense to rough in the electrical before putting sheet rock on the exterior walls, because it will be a pain to do it later, but I don't think the code requires it.

:happyno: A basement is, well, a basement. Storage or not.

210.52(G)

Status
Not open for further replies.