Routing grounding electrode conductor and protecting ground clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallfish

Is it code-compliant (please state code section if you have the answer) to run a #6 AWG grounding electrode conductor (gec) under the soil the required 6 feet from ground rod to ground rod then back into the residence to house panel? And if so, how deep must the conductor be placed (again please state code section)?

Section 250.64 states "where exposed, a gec shall be securely fastened to the surface upon which it is carried."

As AHJ, I inspected a service change where the homeowner was unhappy that the electrical contractor ran the bare copper #6 AWG gec on top of the ground between rods. But before I call the contractor back out, I would like to know if it is allowed that the gec can in fact be run in the ground between rods and at what depth.

Also the upper end of the ground rod and clamp are above ground by three inches. (I know that 8 feet of the electrode shall be installed in contact with the ground.) If honestly the contractor can't beat the rod further into the earth, does Section 250.53 (G), which allows the upper end of the rod to be protected against physical damage as specified in 250.10, allow the contractor to simply enclose the upper end of the rod, and if so, enclose it with what?

Thanks

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The rod really should be flush with the earth so it is not also an impalement hazard, we cap the end of rebar during constrution and the ground rod is just as dangerous. I would suggest running the #6 in PVC and bury it to 12"

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Is it code-compliant (please state code section if you have the answer) to run a #6 AWG grounding electrode conductor (gec) under the soil the required 6 feet from ground rod to ground rod then back into the residence to house panel? And if so, how deep must the conductor be placed (again please state code section)?

Section 250.64 states "where exposed, a gec shall be securely fastened to the surface upon which it is carried."

As AHJ, I inspected a service change where the homeowner was unhappy that the electrical contractor ran the bare copper #6 AWG gec on top of the ground between rods. But before I call the contractor back out, I would like to know if it is allowed that the gec can in fact be run in the ground between rods and at what depth.

Also the upper end of the ground rod and clamp are above ground by three inches. (I know that 8 feet of the electrode shall be installed in contact with the ground.) If honestly the contractor can't beat the rod further into the earth, does Section 250.53 (G), which allows the upper end of the rod to be protected against physical damage as specified in 250.10, allow the contractor to simply enclose the upper end of the rod, and if so, enclose it with what?

Thanks

Take a look at 250.10 depending on where it is located it may be fine.

Cavie

Drive the rods below ground level using acorn type clamps. Bury ground wire directly in the ground no conduit required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Drive the rods below ground level using acorn type clamps. Bury ground wire directly in the ground no conduit required.

I agree and there is no minimum burial depth either. I usually use the back of a claw hammer to dig down a few inches.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
If it is just under the surface it can be easily cut with a shovel being stuck through it, that would be reason to put two dollars into a piece of PVC.

GEC Direct buired

GEC Direct buired

UL requires that all Grounding lugs be direct buried rated, when used at SE, and as for the End of the Rod being exposed, Many JHA require a hand hole type box over the exposed end so it can be maintained and inspected.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
UL requires that all Grounding lugs be direct buried rated, when used at SE, and as for the End of the Rod being exposed, Many JHA require a hand hole type box over the exposed end so it can be maintained and inspected.

With local amendment I'm sure.

I would hope so since that require would far exceed the NEC. Once it's inspected it can be buried in perpetuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.