roy g

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy g

looking for the code reference (if one) for removing unused or abandoned cable in a cable tray. any help appreciated

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I don't think you will find anything specific to cable tray. There are some cable types that must be removed if abandoned regardless of how they are installed. Those cable types are covered in 640, 645, 725, 760, 770, 800, 820, and 830.

mcclary's electrical

The requirement is to remove all accessible cables, so I would consider this accessible, therefor it must be removed. If it were in a listed raceway, it could stay.

roy g

The requirement is to remove all accessible cables, so I would consider this accessible, therefor it must be removed. If it were in a listed raceway, it could stay.

That is my thought also, but I am being asked for a specific code requirment. these are power wiring with 240 & 480 volt ranges. thanks for help roy g

mcclary's electrical

That is my thought also, but I am being asked for a specific code requirment. these are power wiring with 240 & 480 volt ranges. thanks for help roy g

The requirement for removing abandoned cables applies to class 2 & class 3 lv wiring. There are no codes requiring you to r3emove the type of cable you mentioned

mcclary's electrical

What makes a cable inaccessible if it is in a raceway? The pull points should be accessible.

The code requirement to remove abandoned cables is based on stopping the spread of fire from one place to another through combustibles. If the wire is in a conduit, it does not need to be removed, onlt exposed cable

Status
Not open for further replies.