RP8-2000 what is this

Status
Not open for further replies.

linda1962

I know it has to do with the cut-off but I can't find anything that tells me what RP8-2000 means or where it comes from. Can anyone shed some light on this? (couldn't resist the pun):grin:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well, if the cut off was in 2000, we missed it.

What is this in reference to?

Roger

linda1962

I'm doing a project with roadway lighting and the MFG refers to a 90 degree cutoff that "meets RP8-2000 for full cutoff" but I can't find anything else about it. I thought someone out there might be more familiar - sorry about being so vague. Any ideas on what this is?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
linda1962 said:
I'm doing a project with roadway lighting and the MFG refers to a 90 degree cutoff that "meets RP8-2000 for full cutoff" but I can't find anything else about it. I thought someone out there might be more familiar - sorry about being so vague. Any ideas on what this is?

read my post above yours.

linda1962

Thanks - that happens to be the exact page I was quoting from. BUT - it still doesn't answer the question. I google searched too but never found anything that described what RP8-2000 is. Any other ideas on where to find this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
linda1962 said:
Thanks - that happens to be the exact page I was quoting from. BUT - it still doesn't answer the question. I google searched too but never found anything that described what RP8-2000 is. Any other ideas on where to find this?

I am still looking but it is a photometric guideline of sorts-- whatever that is.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
roger said:
Thanks Dennis, that helps.

Roger

Okay-- don't be sarcastic--:grin: I was careless

This is the best I could find
ANSI/IES RP8/2000 American Standard Practice for Roadway Lighting ...

Seems to control the urban glow of lighting near observatories. The only site I found was in another language

mdshunk

What is RP- 8?
The Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IESNA) developed Recommended Practice 8 (RP-8) as a guideline for
lighting design for Roadways. This document sets forth requirements and standards for Illuminance calculations, as well as
Roadway Luminance and Veiling Luminance calculations.
Recommended values for the various optimization criteria are based on RP-8. Certain limitations exist in RP-8, and are carried
through to Simply Roadway. For example, RP-8 applies only to straight sections of roadway. Subsequently, Simply Roadway
only models straight sections of roadway for this reason.
RP-8 also requires the length of the roadway to be at least ten times the mounting height of the luminaires, and at least five
times the pole spacing.
Simply Roadway will allow you to work with a road shorter than five times the luminaire mounting height, but please keep in
mind that in this case, your roadway lighting layout does not strictly comply with RP-8.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Okay-- don't be sarcastic--:grin: I was careless

This is the best I could find
ANSI/IES RP8/2000 American Standard Practice for Roadway Lighting ...

Seems to control the urban glow of lighting near observatories. The only site I found was in another language

I was actually being sincere, I had no clue until you posted the link. :smile:

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
roger said:
I was actually being sincere, I had no clue until you posted the link. :smile:

Roger

OOps sorry-- I thought the link I posted was a bit vague and thought you were referring to that. My deepest apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.