RS-485 via RJ-45 ???

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
So I am upgrading a PLC cabinet. The decision was made to control a couple VFD pumps with modbus on a RS-485 network. I knew this Allen-Bradley Powerflex 400 had onboard RS-485, so I use a spare analog cable and pull in a 4 conductor Belden like usual. THEN I look to see where to land the wires. What the ... I have to use the RJ-45 port, with the SHIELD going to a screw terminal? I call up the manual and it says I have to use only positions 4 & 5 on the RJ-45 plug because other positions are used for other functions. The manual also gives the typical RS-485 layout, including daisy chaining and end of line resistors. Ok ... now how would I daisy chain with RJ-45 connectors let alone install EOLs ??? Not to mention landing the SHIELD at a field device instead of just the PLC cabinet. And gee wizz! I have CAT 5E cable, but it doesn't have a shield anyway. And the comm port on the controller isn't RJ-45, it's wire terminals!

So I did what I could with what I had. Used the 4 conductor Belden to pull CAT 5E, put on a connector with just two wires in the positions called for, kept the solid green to go to the "shield" terminal (I'd call it 0 volt reference ...), and landed these three flimsy 24 ga solid wires on the controller's comm port. Felt disgusted so put in just 10 hours instead of the usual 12.

Who else has dealt with this? Is there a better way?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would have to see this situation with my own eyes to make any useful comments.

(Even then, there's no guarantee on the "useful." :giggle: )

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Okay, that helps. In my opinion, CAT-5 is the wrong type of cable for this purpose.

I would use a 2-conductor-plus-shield cable, with a foil shield with a drain wire.

1727820594670.jpeg

Last edited:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Then what will you use as the shield? Remember, it's not an EGC.

It should be terminated at only one end, clipped at the jacket at the other end.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Then what will you use as the shield? Remember, it's not an EGC.

It should be terminated at only one end, clipped at the jacket at the other end.
What I have been doing is using 4 conductor "Belden" (my generic name for instrumentation cable). Red for positive, black for negative, green for 0 volt reference (or ground if there is no actual 0 volt ref), drain wire for shield, and white for spare. Green gets landed at both ends when possible. Drain wire at the controller, often along with the ground.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What I have been doing is using 4 conductor "Belden" (my generic name for instrumentation cable). Red for positive, black for negative, green for 0 volt reference (or ground if there is no actual 0 volt ref), drain wire for shield, and white for spare. Green gets landed at both ends when possible. Drain wire at the controller, often along with the ground.
I didn't know your cable was shielded.

I recommend omitting the green connections. Ground loops.

You're defeating the purpose of bonding the shield at only one end.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I didn't know your cable was shielded.

I recommend omitting the green connections. Ground loops.

You're defeating the purpose of bonding the shield at only one end.
I know what you mean. But when I read about how RS-485 is "supposed" to be wired and work, there needs to be a 0 volt reference. A terminal specifically for that is often designated. In those cases I do use it. That is when: "Green gets landed at both ends when possible."