RTU with MOP (Fuse Size) vs NEC 110.3B

I have a situation where customer has an existing distribution panel that is all circuit breakers. They have ordered new roof top air units for cooling and I just received a screen shot of the electrical requirements. The max overcurrent is listed as "MOP (Fuse Size)". I have asked if they can provide a picture of the unit nameplate but I do not believe they have any of the units yet.
My question is, would using the existing breaker panel violate NEC 110.3(B) based on the information given by the vendor paperwork?
This was their plan all along and I want to be sure before I say anything about needing fused disconnects.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We recently had a thread about the exceptionally low quality of manufacturer's instructions and how they're often wrong. Is it really possible that for equipment of this type in 2024 to require fuses?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The nameplate should reflect how the equipment was tested. This is clearly covered in the product listing standard. If a manufacture is not permitting the use of breakers as the OCPD, they are limiting the applications of their product. I have not seen one that just showed fuses in a very long time, but the UL marking guide is clear that if the nameplate only says fuses, it is a 110.3(B) violation to provide protection using a circuit breaker. The easiest fix is to use a fusible disconnect as the required disconnect at the unit.

PaulEd

I have a situation where customer has an existing distribution panel that is all circuit breakers. They have ordered new roof top air units for cooling and I just received a screen shot of the electrical requirements. The max overcurrent is listed as "MOP (Fuse Size)". I have asked if they can provide a picture of the unit nameplate but I do not believe they have any of the units yet.
My question is, would using the existing breaker panel violate NEC 110.3(B) based on the information given by the vendor paperwork?
This was their plan all along and I want to be sure before I say anything about needing fused disconnects.
Could installing new roof top air units utilizing a fused disconnect (you need a disconnect on the roof anyway) be a way to satisfy this requirement?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Almost all the mini-splits installed in this area are "fuse protection".