Rubber Gloves and Leather Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark_797

I have recently relocated from NY to NC. Am working in a shop where they don't believe in wearing leather protectors over their L.V. rubber gloves. I've tried ASTM F-696-97, OSHA 1910.335 (a) and NFPA 70-E and none of them specifically state a requirement for wearing leather protection over rubber. The codes all state: shall, may or should. I'm from an electrical family and not wearing leather "keepers" is unheard of. I've also tried explaining that there are other hazards besides puncturing the rubber glove. Abrasion, chemical contamination, not to mention heat during an Arc Flash. I would appreciate some input on this as I can't seem to convince to brother electricians of the unnecessary risks they are subjecting themselves to. Thanks all and have a great day.

zog

I have recently relocated from NY to NC. Am working in a shop where they don't believe in wearing leather protectors over their L.V. rubber gloves. I've tried ASTM F-696-97, OSHA 1910.335 (a) and NFPA 70-E and none of them specifically state a requirement for wearing leather protection over rubber. The codes all state: shall, may or should. I'm from an electrical family and not wearing leather "keepers" is unheard of. I've also tried explaining that there are other hazards besides puncturing the rubber glove. Abrasion, chemical contamination, not to mention heat during an Arc Flash. I would appreciate some input on this as I can't seem to convince to brother electricians of the unnecessary risks they are subjecting themselves to. Thanks all and have a great day.

OSHA 1910.137 (b)(2)(vii) Protector gloves shall be worn over insulating gloves, except as follows:
(b)(2)(vii)(A) Protector gloves need not be used with Class 0 gloves, under limited-use conditions, where small equipment and parts manipulation necessitate unusually high finger dexterity.
Note: Extra care is needed in the visual examination of the glove and in the avoidance of handling sharp objects.

"Shall" means you must, and is enforceable.

brian john

Protect yourself explain to the others the necessity of being safe, but in the end you can only be responsibility for yourself. As for rubber with protectors, protectors will be of little use in an ARC flash other than to melt.

ZOG? rubber in regards to Arc flash?

zog

Protect yourself explain to the others the necessity of being safe, but in the end you can only be responsibility for yourself. As for rubber with protectors, protectors will be of little use in an ARC flash other than to melt.

Actually your leather protectors are a great glove to use for arc flash protection, and are the recommended leather glove to use in the 70E. They cant get an arc rating because thee isnt a ASTM standard for acheving an APTV rating for leather gloves, yet.

ZOG? rubber in regards to Arc flash?

Witnesed some testing on this and I was amazed at the arc flash protection that rubber gloves did provide, again, no ASTM standard for a test of these but they help up pretty good. Hugh Hogland has done a bunch of thee tests and could provide you with some more info if you want. I think thee is some test data from this in his newsletter archives. http://arcwear.com/arcwear.com/archives.htm

brian john

I have heard conflicting information on both sides Rubber melts....Rubber provides additional protection when used in conjunction with liners and leather.

zog

I have heard conflicting information on both sides Rubber melts....Rubber provides additional protection when used in conjunction with liners and leather.

Well rubber does melt, but it takes alot more than you would think, and on the other hand they do offer additional protection. Dont believe what you hear from anyone, read the test data. Most people are just blowing smoke when they say stuff like that.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Anecdotaly, I have seen many photos of arms injured during arc flash events except for the forearms that were protected only by rubber gloves.

dcspector

For the heck of it I will post..... When inspecting live work I wear 14" cuff Salibury 10kv rubber gloves and Green Mountain goat skin cover gloves 14" cuff as well. The prefered choice of Linemen.

zog

For the heck of it I will post..... When inspecting live work I wear 14" cuff Salibury 10kv rubber gloves and Green Mountain goat skin cover gloves 14" cuff as well. The prefered choice of Linemen.

First, there is no suck thing as a 10kV glove.

2nd, there is a required distance between the leather protector and the end of the cuff of the rubber, the distance depends on the class of glove. Using a 14" glove and 14" protector is dangerous and an OSHA violation.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
there is a required distance between the leather protector and the end of the cuff of the rubber, the distance depends on the class of glove. Using a 14" glove and 14" protector is dangerous and an OSHA violation.

yeah, for the same reason you have the outer jacket on a MV or HV cable
is stripped back a prescribed length, depending on the voltage.

Duke E

Are there preferred manufactures for gloves? Styles used for general everyday needs? I need some recommendations. My exposure typically involves working on switchgear no higher than 480 volts.

zog

Are there preferred manufactures for gloves? Styles used for general everyday needs? I need some recommendations. My exposure typically involves working on switchgear no higher than 480 volts.

Class O gloves are rated for up to 1,000V and would be a good fit. There is only 1 major manufacturer now in the U.S., Salisbury, they bought out thier competetion about 2 years ago (White rubber).

But I have to ask, what are you doing working on live switchgear? You have bigger problems than not having gloves.

Duke E

But I have to ask, what are you doing working on live switchgear? You have bigger problems than not having gloves.

I will be installing the monitoring coils for my new Fluke 1735. =)
Perhaps 'working around' live switchgear would have been a better choice of wording.

Last edited:

dcspector

First, there is no suck thing as a 10kV glove.

2nd, there is a required distance between the leather protector and the end of the cuff of the rubber, the distance depends on the class of glove. Using a 14" glove and 14" protector is dangerous and an OSHA violation.

Well Mr. Zog.....good catch typo on my part I have my gloves in front of me.......size 10.....7500 volt and the leather covers are 3" shorter than the rubber cuff.....these are class 1 type 1...thank you for correcting me. Yes I do inspect live work all the time.

dcspector

What do you wear for arc flash protection? Live work should be a rare thing, suprised to hear you "inspect it all the time".

Zog,

Besides the gloves, face protection. I am not brave, but I am experienced. I did not start out as an Inspector. It is very difficult to inspect when denergized here unless I go in at midnight. I am sure Brian possibly would agree. New work is different. I do not know what else to say to answer your question besides this is DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.