Run conduits between first and second floor electrical rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Guys

If I want to run several conduits from 1st floor to second floor electrical rooms,
(3-4", 2-2", 3-1" all EMT) is it better to group all conduits and run them in same path,
then hit one spot at second electrical room floor slab?... or run them
from panel to panel individually?

If we have to core drill through beam when going from 1st floor through 2nd floor,
is there a max. conduit size allowed to go through beam? Thank you!
:slaphead:

iMuse97

If you are coring structural members you would have to get a signature from an engineer, and that is IMHO unlikely.

I'd put them all near to one another, all other things being equal. You could hit a trough in each room from which you could route to the various equipment panels, disconnects, etc.

The four inch I'd probably run by themselves directly to where the needed to go.

Volta

If they are for very specific uses, like a panel feeder, it is probably best to run them directly between the end points through individually cored holes.

For branch circuit/smaller conduits, diverting several to run through a single hole is the way to go.

Doubtful that you can drill vertically through a beam in most cases.

cadpoint

Well I'm going to say it depends on the building classification, construction used and probably other things.

The best thing you could do is ask your local AHJ of their requirements... they might even follow some buildings codes
at the State level.

I'd drill individual holes in most cases, the rating of the hole, or opening needs to be backfilled, the finish has to match what
the existing condition is. I'm saying this in layman's terms for the real deal go to UL.com and search "floor pentrations".

What your looking for is "Through-Penetration Firestop Systems (XHEZ)" or like "Electrical Circuit Protective Systems (FHIT)"
This is not an end-all answer to what your trying to do, but will give you a good idea while reading at UL.com.

If you have time you can search and browse here to understand the UL site a little bit better, architectural services.

Status
Not open for further replies.