Running a 12V pump in a class 1 div1 area

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilld

New User
My company has a laboratory we use for performing fill tests on automotive fuel tanks, and as such this room is class 1 division 1 rated. I am working on a project where I need to power the fuel pump inside the fuel tank. The tank is a production part sealed from the atmosphere with fuel inside.

My question is: How can i legitimately get power to the fuel pump via the production connector on the fuel pump module? Its a sealed automotive grade connector.

Other considerations-
-I have a pressurized enclosure where I could mount any hardware or special power supplies in order to have some
sort of IS barrier (although frankly im not 100% as to what that really means)

-The pump is 12V with a maximum Current draw of 15A.

-During the performance of the test all sources of fuel/vapor would be sealed, as we would not run this in parallel to normal fill testing

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Admittedly we used to just put a power supply in the enclosure years ago and wait to give the pump power until the circuit was made, but we have since abandoned this method and are looking for a safer way.

Thanks,

Dave Hill

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I've read this several times and still don't have a full handle on your operation's description. I would especially like to know what you meant by "... we used to just put a power supply in the enclosure years ago and wait to give the pump power until the circuit was made...".

In the mean time, I can make one comment: you aren't going to achieve an IS system with a 12V, 15A load, pressurized enclosure or not, barriers or not.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I find it moderately humorous that tens of millions of vehicles ride the streets every day with this arrangement with nary an issue but that it is too unsafe to do in a lab environment.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I find it moderately humorous that tens of millions of vehicles ride the streets every day with this arrangement with nary an issue but that it is too unsafe to do in a lab environment.
True.
However, if they were using a Pinto Gas tank .....

ice

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Gasoline has a relatively narrow flammability limit (1.4%LFL - 7.6%UFL) It can often get too "rich" to ignite fairly quickly. However, in test labs and most "open air" conditions the range vacillates and, depending on source leakage rates, an ignition range can be sustained. It may not always be "explosive" but more prone to a flash fire.

In an automobile, fuel is generally in a closed system from the fuel tank until deliberately ignited in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.