Running an electric cooler in my van on solar

Status
Not open for further replies.

dereckbc

Staff member
I did not want to go off grid I just wanted to save money so I contacted a vendor that sold PV equipment and I was impressed that they where honest. They told me the best way for me to save money while on the grid was to buy more efficient appliances.

They said unless I was off grid PV was not going to save me money. Of course this was about 5 years ago but I was impressed they where up front with me instead of just selling me a bunch of equipment.

Lucky you, most would not do that. Once they got you trapped into Off-Grid, they have a pigeon to pluck for life replacing batteries. :ashamed1:

You are correct, and what I tell anyone considering grid tied is to first remodel the home and upgrade appliances. Has a lot better payback and will significantly lower their Solar Install cost if they go that route. I know that may make some EC's angry here, but it is factual.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
And once you have maximized your efficiency you can then look to see whether your peak power cost justifies a grid interactive system (no batteries). Note that rural coop power companies are not under the same regulatory pressure to offer net metering as regular POCOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.