Running multiple circuits - thru floor conduits

Status
Not open for further replies.

designer82

Say I have a panelboard on floor 1 that powers circuits on floor 2 and multiple circuits are run in the thru-floor conduit sleeve.

How does this work considering the cable sizing in the NEC table is for no more than 3 current carrying conductors in conduit.

There would be more than 3 going thru the thru-floor conduit sleeve, enough for all circuits on this 2nd floor.

Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How long is the sleeve? Less than 24" no derating required if the rest of the cable runs are not bundled.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
You mention cable sizing and then conductors, what cable sizing table are you referring to?
Is this application conductors/wire, IE THHN/W in a raceway? If so adjust ampacity per table 310.15 C 1, but you start at the 90 Deg C rating.

designer82

Ok I think I understand. You can run multiple circuits/conductors thru a sleeve without derating the conductors as long as the sleeve is 24" or less.

Just for clarity, is this how an electrician would run it... Cut/cap the conduits just before the sleeve and run conductors thru the sleeve?

tom baker

Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
If you are talking about individual conductors, then no. Just run the raceway/conduit (EMT is not conduit) thru a sleeve. Firestop around the raceway/conduit, per the firestop instructions.
The conductors in the raceway system would be adjusted for ampacity.
The raceway has to be continuous (110.8)
I am not very familiar with firestopping there are others that do it all the time. Perhaps you are thinking the individual conductors have to be firestopped, no, just the penetration, but the wiring method has to be suitable for the occupancy.
There is only one section on firestopping in the NEC, firestopping is typically inspected by the building AHJ

designer82

I think the better question is... If an electrician needs to run 2 circuits, each in conduit, would they always make 2 core drills and run the two conduits or would they make 1 core drill with one larger conduit.

Picture below is what I mean. I'm thinking it will always be option A but it would be good to get confirmation

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think the better question is... If an electrician needs to run 2 circuits, each in conduit, would they always make 2 core drills and run the two conduits or would they make 1 core drill with one larger conduit.
So the entire run for each of the two is in conduit?

tom baker

Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
ten electricians will install a conduit job differently, and all to code.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How does this work considering the cable sizing in the NEC table is for no more than 3 current carrying conductors in conduit.
More than three CCCs are permitted in a single conduit; more than three merely means de-rating applies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
ten electricians will install a conduit job differently, and all to code.
This sounds hypothetical and there are too many unknown variables to answer one way or another. Some guys would run 2 conduits because they only work with small size raceways. Another guy will run one large conduit because it may save labor and materials. If we're talking about a few 20 or 30 amp circuits then that would be different.

designer82

This sounds hypothetical and there are too many unknown variables to answer one way or another. Some guys would run 2 conduits because they only work with small size raceways. Another guy will run one large conduit because it may save labor and materials. If we're talking about a few 20 or 30 amp circuits then that would be different.

Thanks, appreciate the responses.

Just wondering if this is how they would execute it if they chose to run one large conduit sleeve instead of multiple smaller conduits...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks, appreciate the responses.

Just wondering if this is how they would execute it if they chose to run one large conduit sleeve instead of multiple smaller conduits...
That image shows the conductors leaving the raceways and going into the sleeve. That is not permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.