Running power to detached garage via overhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie4now

I have a client that wants power to their garage. I had planned on running #6 quadraplex and placing a sub panel, but he doesn't really want that or the associated expense. I know that practically speaking I could run 12/3 UF for the two circuits he wants. I was thinking I could put an aircraft cable as a messenger wire and wire tie the 12/3UF to the wire. Is there a code problem there? I couldn't find anything one way or the other. Also, I was assuming I would need a ground rod, but I'm not setting a panel so where would it be connected?

Thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a client that wants power to their garage. I had planned on running #6 quadraplex and placing a sub panel, but he doesn't really want that or the associated expense. I know that practically speaking I could run 12/3 UF for the two circuits he wants. I was thinking I could put an aircraft cable as a messenger wire and wire tie the 12/3UF to the wire. Is there a code problem there? I couldn't find anything one way or the other. Also, I was assuming I would need a ground rod, but I'm not setting a panel so where would it be connected?

Thanks

Look at 225 II (2011).

If you are running more than one circuit (which could be an MWBC) to the garage, it will be hard to avoid putting a panel at the garage which will split the feeder into branch circuits.
And if you run two or more 2-wire circuits, you have to supply at least 30 amps via the feeder.

You must run a neutral and an EGC in any case.
I think you could manage to supply the garage with a single 20A 120/240 circuit using 12/3, but I am not sure about suspending it from a messenger wire as you describe. The disconnect for the garage could then be just a single 2 pole snap switch.

...Also, I was assuming I would need a ground rod, but I'm not setting a panel so where would it be connected?
12-3 w/ground UF is a single Multi Wire Branch Circuit. No panel, no grounding electrode, no grounding electrode conductor.

A $7 a/c disconnect at home depot is cheaper than a DP snap switch, FS box and waterproof cover.

If you're worried about voltage drop, you can up the wire size to the disconnect. But the MWBC cannot go higher than a 20A DP breaker.

For overhead, the UF would have to be listed "sunlight resistent."

This article says the rules for messenger wires are in 225.6(A)(1) or 225.6(B).

http://m.ecmweb.com/code-basics/nec-rules-outside-branch-circuits-and-feeders

Last edited:

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
With out looking it up!

With out looking it up!

I think #10 awg is self supporting; you need to look it up.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
A $7 A/C disconnect most likely won't comply with 225.36.

If this is a residential garage and the AC disconnect is a snap switch type (as opposed to a pull out), I would think it would comply. You don't need a SUSE rated disconnect for a single branch circuit on residential property detached buildings.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If this is a residential garage and the AC disconnect is a snap switch type (as opposed to a pull out), I would think it would comply. You don't need a SUSE rated disconnect for a single branch circuit on residential property detached buildings.

I agree, 225.36 makes an exception for snap switches. A pull out A/C disconnect is not a snap switch so it would need to be suitable for use as
service equipment. I've never seen a A/C disconnect that would qualify as a snap switch.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I thinking of the type containing what looks like a circuit breaker, but is really just a switch that looks like a breaker and has no overcurrent protection. Those are common around here. The handle snaps like a switch.

Here's one from Square D: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SQUARE-D-Air-Conditioner-Disconnect-Switch-6HD95?Pid=search

Generally, these are in the $20 to $30 price range, so you may not gain much over a double pole switch.

IMO that is not a snap switch. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.