Running three phase circuit from disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkeeney

New User
Occupation
DIY
I am hoping someone can give me some advice on running a 3 phase circuit. Basically, I have 5 machines that need electrical supply. I have a 20Hp RPC powered by single phase 200A load center with 100amp double pole breaker pushing out three phase from the converter panel into a 100amp disconnect. From the bottom lugs of that disconnect I was hoping that I could run #6 wire to the first machine contactor then somehow carry on that supply to the next machine's contactor without the need to buy a three phase panel and breakers($$$$). I was also hoping that I could run a second "circuit" to essentially daisy chain to the other three machines.

1st supply line: disconnect to Table saw 5hp to Planer 9hp,
2nd supply line: disconnect to Shaper 7.5hp to Radial Arm Saw 5hp to Jointer 3hp
With both of these originating at the bottom lugs of the disconnect

Only one machine will ever be powered on at a time. I assumed that the contactors, with their voltage overload protection, would allow it to be done. I don't know if this setup would require some sort of junction box to be able to "y" off to each machine at that point or if the power would be run from contactor to contactor? This project will not be inspected but safety is a concern.

Please advise lol
thanks in advance
Frank

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.