Running wires inside Support trusses

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecollar84

What’s everyone’s thoughts on installing low voltage wires inside the v notch on roof trusses that are 5 feet apart is it considered a support means ?
3bf4ce733d9a9e2d354e1da12dc0e8de.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I suppose that in principal there's no issue, assuming 5 foot spacing is sufficient support. However, the flanges of the bar joist might wear through the cable as random air current and building movement causes things to shift about.

Consider using Caddy's lock rod product with their HP J-Hook product.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
What’s everyone’s thoughts on installing low voltage wires inside the v notch on roof trusses that are 5 feet apart is it considered a support means ?
3bf4ce733d9a9e2d354e1da12dc0e8de.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's doubtful that the Data Cabling guys are going to take the time to snake their cables through the V notches on the roof trusses every 5' apart above a drop ceiling.

JAP>

gadfly56

Occupation
It's doubtful that the Data Cabling guys are going to take the time to snake their cables through the V notches on the roof trusses every 5' apart above a drop ceiling.

JAP>

That's what this is for:

Greenlee Cablecaster.jpg

gadfly56

Occupation
Like I said........
Our guys would have it pulled out while the guys using that were still trying to get it un-hung from the 1st bar joist.

JAP>

Well, make up your mind. Are they snaking it through the "V's" or not? Or using the J-hooks I suggested?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Easier to use J hooks attached to the bottom of the trusses because you can just lay in the bundle. But if you want to there would be no problem running everything through the trusses, especially when you have only one or two runs that wouldn't warrant installing J hooks.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.