Rust in electrical panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan

I was wondering if anyone can talk about the effect of moisture on circuit breaker performance. I have a panel that has a great deal of surface rust on it and many of the screws holding the wires to the breakers are rusty. I'm debating about whether I should replace the breakers &/or the panel.

iwire

Staff member
110.12(C) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections. Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, shall not be damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues. There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Bob has outlined, the panel is required to be corrosion free. Since you're posting under the heading of Safety I'm assuming that you have a concern. IMO if a potential hazard is present, the panel and CB's should be replaced.

I agree the panel and breakers should be replaced. To take it one step further where did the moisture come from? You should have the problem eliminated, if it isn't already, before replacing breakers or panels.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
iwire said:
110.12(C) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections. ..
Nice find Bob. There's more goodies in this section too.
110.11 Deteriorating Agents. Unless identified for use in the operating environment, no conductors or equipment shall be located in damp or wet locations;..FPN No. 1: See 300.6 for protection against corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.