RV 30 amp 120 volt receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btbamfan4

Occupation
Electrician
The RV receptacle is 30 amps and 120 volts. I'm mounting the receptacle outside under the panel/meter combo. It sits on a post in front of an existing trailer.

Question one: can I use #12 thhn?

Question 2: do i need a GFI breaker since it's not mounted on the structure?

Question 3: Can I go down in ground size to number 14 if #12 is ok with the 30 amps or vice versa for the #10 if if #12 isn't suitable, I can go down to #12 ground?

When I wired pools, we used #8 thhn for 50 amps and we were able to pull #10 for the ground. Never failed an inspection for it in SC or NC

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The RV receptacle is 30 amps and 120 volts. I'm mounting the receptacle outside under the panel/meter combo. It sits on a post in front of an existing trailer.

Question one: can I use #12 thhn?
No 240.4(D)
Question 2: do i need a GFI breaker since it's not mounted on the structure?

Likely, yes.. 210.8(A)(3) {In some areas it may not be required because of Art 551 not requiring GFCI.. AHJ call}

Question 3: Can I go down in ground size to number 14 if #12 is ok with the 30 amps or vice versa for the #10 if if #12 isn't suitable, I can go down to #12 ground?

No. 250.122

When I wired pools, we used #8 thhn for 50 amps and we were able to pull #10 for the ground. Never failed an inspection for it in SC or NC

again 250.122

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You've gotta go with the more expensive choice for each of your questions.

That's part of responsible, compliant, and professional electrical contracting.

Btbamfan4

Occupation
Electrician
You've gotta go with the more expensive choice for each of your questions.

That's part of responsible, compliant, and professional electrical contracting.

That's why I'm on this thread pal. So GFI breaker, #10 thhn neutral/hot/ground. I've just seen so many debates on these threads over 551 for the gfi requirements of 30 and 50 amp receptacles.

I dont understand why we were aloud to downsize grounds on 50 amp services, but not 30 amp receptacles. Wouldn't it just trip faster with defective loads?

Btbamfan4

Occupation
Electrician
If an rv isn't considered a dwelling unit, because its stated as "seasonal" does that conclude that make it a definite gfi requirement even with artificial 551

Status
Not open for further replies.