RV Generator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I had a question asked at a recent grounding and bonding class, concerning an onboard generator for a RV. I am assuming these generators have a transfer switch, and the generator is not a separately derived system, correct? and a neutral to case bond is not made in the generator.
Also will the generator have on board receptacles? How are they wired?

big jim

Re: RV Generator Question

O K, I know its late but, as I read the question, I had this mental image of a big motorhome driving down the road, genset running the rooftop A/C and dragging an 8 foot ground rod behind it.

If I am not mistaken,the only time that you use the onboard generator is when shore power is NOT available.

iwire

Staff member

Whether or not the generator is used only when shore power is unavailable, I would think there must be some sort of transfer switch involved.

I would think you would need a way to keep the shore power cords male cord cap from becoming energized when the generator is fired up

Plugged into a shore power outlet or just sitting in the storage compartment this would be dangerous.

Ed MacLaren

Generally, the RV power cord is simply plugged into the receptacle on the generator.
Because the cord cannot be plugged into both sources at the same time, the effect is the same as a transfer switch.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.