RV Park Grounding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

teejer

An inspector is calling for a 4/0 grounding circuit to be connected back to the service equipment in a circuit of RV Power Pedestals. The circuit consists of a 200 amp service disconnect which feeds 7 RV pedestals, each containing 50 amp 120/240V, 30 amp 120V and 20 amp 120V GFCI receptacles and corresponding 50/30/20 branch circuit breakers. The service equipment is equipped with a 200 amp breaker, which based on article 551.73, seems to be sized properly. Each pedestal will be connected to a grounding circuit conductor which will be connected back to the service equipment. In addition, the inspector also wants a ground rod at each pedestal, which doesn't seem to be required as far as I can read the code, but might provide an extra level of protection if the grounding circuit becomes compromised for some reason. The main problem is that the size of the grounding circuit conductor (4/0) seems outrageous and I can find no reference in the NEC which calls for a grounding conductor that large. Table 250.122 calls for a #6 copper grounding conductor for a 200 amp circuit. Am I missing something here or am I on target? Thank you.

RUWired

You need to ask for a code article number for the 4/0 ground. The ground rod at each pedestal is required per 250.32 and connected to the # 6 awg equipment ground conductor ran with the feeder cable.This is provided you don't have a transformer at each pedestal.
icon13.gif
for the inspectors call.

Rick

steved

If you were in the state of Oregon you would not be required to install a ground rod at each pedestal. According to this interpretation from the Building Codes Division, the RV pedestals, feeder, and service together are considered to constitute a single structure.

benaround

teejer,

I just want to make sure what the 200a feeder consists of, it should have

2 ungrounded (hot) conductors, 1 grounded (neutral) conductor all of the

same size, and 1 grounding (equipment) conductor. OK, so that's 4 total

conductors, is this what you have ?

Status
Not open for further replies.