RV Park Receeptacles:GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin

Do the revised requirements of 2017 NEC 210.8(B)(4) require RV Park single phase (120/240 vac) receptacles rated either 30 amps or 50 amps to have GFCI protection? The cited subsection [210.8(B)] now requires that for "Other Than Dwelling Units." "All single phase receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less, 50 amps or less...installed in the following locations shall have ground fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel". One of the "following locations" is sub subsection "(4) Outdoors)". I am unable to find anything in Article 551 Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks that "supplement or modify" this requirement as provided for in Section 90.3 Code Arrangement. I have not yet tried contacting an RV Power Outlet manufacturer to see what their position is (perhaps the installation instructions address this question). Thanks for your feedback.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
There was a recent post on this not to long ago, try doing a search for it.
It seemed that Code making panel of the RV section were not informed of the new requirement made by the code making panel that dealt with GFCI article. And it sounded like they maybe on the fence about this. Maybe it will be more clear in the 2020 NEC

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Do the revised requirements of 2017 NEC 210.8(B)(4) require RV Park single phase (120/240 vac) receptacles rated either 30 amps or 50 amps to have GFCI protection? The cited subsection [210.8(B)] now requires that for "Other Than Dwelling Units." "All single phase receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less, 50 amps or less...installed in the following locations shall have ground fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel". One of the "following locations" is sub subsection "(4) Outdoors)". I am unable to find anything in Article 551 Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks that "supplement or modify" this requirement as provided for in Section 90.3 Code Arrangement. I have not yet tried contacting an RV Power Outlet manufacturer to see what their position is (perhaps the installation instructions address this question). Thanks for your feedback.

That would be the exact question I would ask the AHJ in my area prior to starting work.

Jap>

Status
Not open for further replies.