RV Recpticale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

Have a customer who would like me to install a 50amp 110 volt recp on his garge so he can plug in his RV/Travel trailer.
Looking in article 551I and article 210 I do not see any thing that requires this oulet to Be GFCI protected am i right in assuming it does not require GFCI protection?

Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Take a look at 210.8(A). Since this 120 volt receptacle and over 20 amps no GFCI required.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You might want to double-check. Anthing is possible and we are behind the times in TN, but RVs here are 30 amp 120v or 50 amp 240/120 volt.

BAHTAH

RV Receptacles

RV Receptacles

Riograndeelectric said:
Have a customer who would like me to install a 50amp 110 volt recp on his garge so he can plug in his RV/Travel trailer.
Looking in article 551I and article 210 I do not see any thing that requires this oulet to Be GFCI protected am i right in assuming it does not require GFCI protection?

Thanks.

2005 NEC 551.46(C) will show you the configurations for recreational vehicles. 551.71 states that all 15- and 20 amp receptacles shall have ground-fault protection. 30 amp and 50 amp receptacles do not require ground-fault protection. I would assume since your customer has a 50amp requirement that he/she has the typical RV with A/c, Hot Tub, landing lights on the roof and inflatable garage.

steved

There should be a label on the RV somewhere near the shore cord listing its power requirements (551.46(D)). As the other posters have said, a fifty amp RV receptacle should be 240/120V. While the RV may not have all the features Grant described, high-end RV's can be real power hogs. You may have a problem with voltage drop depending on what kind of RV your customer has.

Here's an RV that should have landing lights on the roof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oLdmuBO8HE

This one has a built-in garage (not inflatable, though): http://gadgets.qj.net/Park-your-car-inside-your-Motorhome/pg/49/aid/63751

Status
Not open for further replies.