S&C Alduti-Rupter? Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Does anyone have any experience with these distribution system switches? A client has one that is used on a 12.5kV system. The switch is rated for 600 amps, but the actual load is about 75 or less. The switch has two problems. One is that one of the "shunt contact strips" is broken. And the second is that one of the main contact loading springs is missing. We were called to look at it because the phase with the broken shunt contact is showing an arc when the switch is operated. This is the same phase that has the missing loading spring. We replaced the nut for the loading spring and added a compression spring to provide some contact pressure for the main power contact. The main power contacts on the one with the missing spring have a little more pitting than the other two phase, but not much, so I think this part will be ok until we can get the correct parts. I am wondering about how big an issue the broken shunt contact will be until we get the parts?
The switch is operated twice a day to switch between utility power and generator power for their operation.
Here is the type of switch that I am asking about.

zog

Sure, pretty common, 1 problem is probally related to the other and your temp repairs wont last long. Any NETA testing company will be familiar with these and S&C on the North Side of Chicago can help also, pretty sure they make these there, I have trained thier techs for the last 10 years or so. Given your location I would call S&C for feild support.

Status
Not open for further replies.