SABC and tiny kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtynails

I have a tiny kitchen with 2 counter outlets, a gas range, MW/hood and fridge. No disposal. Fridge is on it's own circuit, but it sounds like it's not OK to use the range & MW circuit for one of the counter outlets. I can use one of the counter circuits for the one wall outlet in the room, but nothing else since there's no dining room or pantry. Correct? Seems silly to have 2 single outlets each with a 20A circuit, but I guess it is what it is.

Buck Parrish

You're correct, but the MW should be on it's own circuit since it is fastened in place. The gas oven igniter is allowed on the SABC but not the microwave, ...210.52 - 2 exception 2

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The MW/hood is required to be dedicated per 422.16, as Buck notes the gas range igniter could be on one of the S/A circuits as can the frige.

dirtynails

The MW/hood is required to be dedicated per 422.16, as Buck notes the gas range igniter could be on one of the S/A circuits as can the frige.
So you can't put the igniter on that circuit? Seems dumb, that's such a low load. Putting the fridge on a SABC seems even dumber.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can't tell you how many rental apartments I see where there are microwaves, coffee machines, toaster ovens, etc all plugged into one circuit. In most cases there is another circuit but the tenants don't know about it. They just need to move one appliance like the mw to another spot on the counter.

My point is that small kitchens can use a lot of power.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I can't tell you how many rental apartments I see where there are microwaves, coffee machines, toaster ovens, etc all plugged into one circuit.
Most people even if a small kitchen still want to use all the same gadgets and will to use them and put in splitters do get enough space.
In most cases there is another circuit but the tenants don't know about it. They just need to move one appliance like the mw to another spot on the counter.

My point is that small kitchens can use a lot of power.
That is why I when I do a kitchen I will not put all one circuit receptacles in a row, will alternate the receptacle circuits doing what I call leap froging. Sure it's a little more wire but less overloading potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.