SABC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was reading Mike's newsletter and this caught my eye. Does everyone agree with the interpretation?

NEC Questions and Answers – Based on the 2011 NEC
January 2012

By Mike Holt for EC&M Magazine
Here’s the follow up to Monday's newsletter. This includes all of the answers to the questions sent, so you can see how you did.

Q2. What are the Code requirements for small appliance branch circuits for dwelling units?

A2. Two or more 20A, 120V small-appliance receptacle branch circuits are required for the 15A or 20A receptacle outlets in a dwelling unit kitchen, dining room, breakfast room, pantry, or in similar dining areas as required by 210.52(B) [210.11(C)(1)].
Author’s Comments:
• See the definition of “Receptacle Outlet” in Article 100.
• A 15A, 125V receptacle is rated for 20A feed-through, so it can be used for this purpose [210.21(B)(3)].
• Lighting outlets or receptacles located in other areas of a dwelling unit must not be connected to the small-appliance branch circuit [210.52(B)(2)].
• The two 20A small-appliance branch circuits can be supplied by one 3-wire multiwire circuit or by two separate 120V circuits [210.4(A)].
• Each separate countertop must be supplied with two small-appliance circuits [210.52(B)(3)].

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I was reading Mike's newsletter and this caught my eye. Does everyone agree with the interpretation?

? Each separate countertop must be supplied with two small-appliance circuits [210.52(B)(3)].

I don't agree with the last part (in red)
Code just says the counter tops shall be served by no less than two 20A circuits. It doesn't say each separate section should be served by two.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I see it as being true sometimes, and false other times.

My kitchen has 4 separate countertops along two walls. They are separated by the refrig, the stove, and the sink. Does each of these countertops require 2 SABC's? I'd say no.

But what if I have 2 separate kitchens. Does the countertop in the second kitchen require 2 SABC's? I would say yes.

I can also see there being grey areas in between the two - rooms that might be considered separate by some, while others would consider it a single space.

Same thing with countertops - is a countertop that's broken by a stove or a sink a single countertop, or two separate ones??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That article does not state Mike's interpretation. It says receptacles installed in a kitchen to serve countertop surfaces.

John120/240

Wrong or right, it has been my understanding "Kitchen countertop recptacles shall be served

by two SABC" Two circuits for the whole kitchen, irregardless of multiple sections of

countertops. Nothing prohibits more than two circuits.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Wrong or right, it has been my understanding "Kitchen countertop recptacles shall be served

by two SABC" Two circuits for the whole kitchen, irregardless of multiple sections of

countertops. Nothing prohibits more than two circuits.

Did you just say "irregardless"?

hurk27

I agree this has to be a goof, as even the hand book commentary to 210(B)(3) states:

"The Code does not specify
that both circuits be installed to serve the receptacle outlet(s)
at each separate counter area in a kitchen, but rather that the
total counter area of a kitchen must be supplied by no fewer
than two circuits, and the arrangement of these circuits is
determined by the designer or installer."

Status
Not open for further replies.