Safe Off & Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I am a junior estimator and we do mostly commercial work in NYC. When you safe-off and disconnect circuits whats does that mean exactly and what does it entail? This refers to when we do demo.

Thanks.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It simply means you will remove circuit conductors from breakers, switches, controllers, etc... or cap and identify them as hot or possibly hot.

You are making the renovation or demo area safe for people to work in.

Roger

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thanks very much Roger but I still am a bit lost to what work the electrician has to do. I know you did explain it and it is me not understanding totally.
Wish I was in the field.....lol.

Thanks.

electricalperson

horsegoer said:
Thanks very much Roger but I still am a bit lost to what work the electrician has to do. I know you did explain it and it is me not understanding totally.
Wish I was in the field.....lol.

Thanks.
it means the electrician makes it very hard for someone to turn on a circuit. almost fool proof. your removing the conductors off of a breaker to make it as safe as possible without completly removing the conductors from the raceway.

tyha

i think he is looking for how he needs to quote it. If this is true send me a PM and I can show you the different methods of quantifying and pricing.

nakulak

it could entail the following:

1) inspection of facility to determine all sources of power feeding it and running through it (this could be a walk thru the building or several hours or days of poking around in ceilings etc in a complex building)

2) turning off and making safe unnecessary circuits (circuits to be demo'd might be physically removed from panel or possibly just disconnected from breakers, hot circuits for lighting (temporary or to remain) should be re-identified at panel and sometimes flagged in the ceilings so they don't get cut,

3) feeders and services running through the space and/or to other spaces or not to be demo'd might be tagged or spray painted

4) your guy in the field might have to meet several other contractors to point out items they need to be careful of

5) emergency systems might need to be reconfigured so that standby power systems do not energize circuits in the demo'd area

6) areas could be identified that should be avoided or carefully demo'd to avoid dust in transformers, cutting of embedded lines whose location is not known, areas which should be xrayed prior to demo, etc

7) life safety systems that need to be partially bypassed or dogged need special attention and should be identified, if the area has hazardous locations involved this could be a complicated issue (could involve deactivation of foam systems etc so they don't accidently engage, but are available for manual operation or operation on off-hours automatically etc etc)

8) if the area is especially hazardous, firewatch schedules might need to be set up while some emergency suppression systems are dogged during demo hours, etc

this list could entail a lot more or a lot less - it depends on the job

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thanks everyone for the help. This is a great resource and I think the next best thing to actually doing installations. Hope to learn a lot here. I bought MH book basic electrical theory and am starting there, guess that's the way to go.

Electricalperson are you saying that if I have an area that is being demolished( say a fit out area in a commercial bldg) What would you do if there is a homerun to a homerun box which has 6 circuits but 2 of those circuits are coming from the next room that is to remain live. How can those circuits remain "safe" if that homerun/hr box is to be demo'ed? They would have to be re-routed. Correct? Sorry for my lack of understanding. Maybe someone can give an example where you would safe-off circuits. You mentioned actually removing the conductors from the breakers.

Thanks.

electricalperson

horsegoer said:
Thanks everyone for the help. This is a great resource and I think the next best thing to actually doing installations. Hope to learn a lot here. I bought MH book basic electrical theory and am starting there, guess that's the way to go.

Electricalperson are you saying that if I have an area that is being demolished( say a fit out area in a commercial bldg) What would you do if there is a homerun to a homerun box which has 6 circuits but 2 of those circuits are coming from the next room that is to remain live. How can those circuits remain "safe" if that homerun/hr box is to be demo'ed? They would have to be re-routed. Correct? Sorry for my lack of understanding. Maybe someone can give an example where you would safe-off circuits. You mentioned actually removing the conductors from the breakers.

Thanks.
ive actually had to do something similar to that. we had pipes with all kinds of circuits that needed to be removed. some of which fed other stuff that didnt have to be removed. what i ended up doing was shutting the circuit off, breaking the pipe at a coupling that was out of the room that was being demoed and run a new pipe without boxes or splice points from the box i just created, through the room then then out of the room and ran new conductors from the new splice box through to feed the stuff that didnt have to be demoed. taken a couple hours to do each one. some of them had a bunch of lighting circuits that fed fixtures in the other part of the building that were staying. hope this made sense

electricalperson

usually if i remove conductors from breakers is if i dont happen to have a lock out kit handy. since i got a lockout kit now i dont really do that all that much anymore. another reason is if the disconnect or breaker cant be locked out. older disconnects i believe cant be locked out if im not mistaken

Status
Not open for further replies.