Safety last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I say "fake/photoshopped"
Doubtful; I enlarged it and looked ad details. Coloring and brightness are all the same, the vertical ladder really appears to be perched on the horizontal one, and it would take more effort to doctor the image than really set the ladders up this way.

More brains, too.

JFletcher

"220, 221, whatever it takes."

It seems to me that most people are unaware that they make scaffolds and ladders for stairwells. He probably could not have erected a 14 foot A-frame on that Landing. 3 2 x 8 x 16 boards and a piece of plywood would make plenty a strong enough walk board or just use a aluminum one that you can buy from the store) toenailed or heavy duty Shear resistant screwed into the studs would have been a hell of a lot safer. It probably took him as long to figure out and rig that two ladder deathtrap contraption then it would have to build something near Bulletproof yet easily disassembled and moved.

There is thinking outside the box, then there is just plain ignorant engineering. You couldn't pay me enough money to stand on that top ladder. Several tens of thousands of dollars of medical bills and months of years of rehab and pain killers from a broken back is not worth it

there are many places I know of that if anyone saw or caught you doing that you would be fired on the spot

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Even if not an edited photo - probably staged just to get a reaction.

Why would you put together those lumber pieces to brace that instead of putting them together to make some sort of scaffold out of them?

I have set planks across an opening like that then placed a ladder on them. Still maybe not the smartest thing to do without more securing but at least the vertical ladder can move a little before falling off what it is standing on.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Even if not an edited photo - probably staged just to get a reaction. ...
I'm not sure it matters, but the context would be more valuable than trying to analyze the image. Was it originally published on a serious website under a title like "Human Factors and Safety in the Workplace" or a clickbait site under a title such as "24 Construction-Site Epic Fails"?

I'm with J. Fletcher: Not even for the half minute necessary to snap the picture. I'm not a stuntman, and I'm also a big, heavy guy with a rich family history of really bad luck with ladders. On the other hand, don't knock the hardcore painkillers until you've tried 'em. I had Demerol once, in a hospital emergency room, for an eye injury. It was a magnificent experience that yielded a brief departure from reality and some tremendous insight about addiction. It really is as simple as "Tried it. Liked it. Tried it again."

JFletcher

regardless of if the picture is real or doctored, I have seen in person just as many dangerous and crazy setups like that. And that's not counting anything real I've seen from third world countries where the words safety and OSHA don't even exist enough to be last place concerns.

JFletcher

And sometimes, it goes right:

Well they were smart enough to wear fall arrest, safety harnesses, however I would not consider that right by any means. I cannot tell how that center walk board or whatever fell... Looks like it was loaded with concrete or something.

Eta: I see the one guy was using an angle grinder to cut it out, and there was a rope attached to the other end... Not sure what they were trying to accomplish but at the very least there should have been a second rope attached intention to the end they were cutting, so that it wouldn't do exactly what it did... Hit the ground and pivot toward and knock the scaffolding out from the guys

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm not sure it matters, but the context would be more valuable than trying to analyze the image. Was it originally published on a serious website under a title like "Human Factors and Safety in the Workplace" or a clickbait site under a title such as "24 Construction-Site Epic Fails"?

I'm with J. Fletcher: Not even for the half minute necessary to snap the picture. I'm not a stuntman, and I'm also a big, heavy guy with a rich family history of really bad luck with ladders. On the other hand, don't knock the hardcore painkillers until you've tried 'em. I had Demerol once, in a hospital emergency room, for an eye injury. It was a magnificent experience that yielded a brief departure from reality and some tremendous insight about addiction. It really is as simple as "Tried it. Liked it. Tried it again."

Using the "Tin Eye" image reverse searching app, this image first appears in a "click bait" website in Georgia (the country, not the state).
http://intermedia.ge/

If you've never used Tin Eye, its a very useful image searching tool, especially when trying to determine the source of something. So for this, all I did was capture the image URL for THIS site (because he loaded to our site) and Tin Eye found two other sites that had used the exact same image, the oldest being the one in Georgia.
https://www.tineye.com/

pmiranda

At first I just saw the guy straddling the top ladder and thought: I wouldn't do that, but doesn't seem too bad... then I scrolled down. Nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.