safety plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyrench

i don't know if this has been ask or not. but is a nfpa 70e person a person who is in the trade in some way like a engineer. we have a guy coming in a couple of months and it is surppose to be 70e training , what should we look or ask for to see if he is a 70e person or a company guy who is admining a company safety plan, which is good. but i be more comfortable with a guy in the field who knows what he is talking about and has some tails to tell..

how long does a true 70e training take to complete? we are talking about 90% of the people are not electricians and no electrical training. and they think they will they be a electrician after training.

Last edited:

zog

i don't know if this has been ask or not. but is a nfpa 70e person a person who is in the trade in some way like a engineer. we have a guy coming in a couple of months and it is surppose to be 70e training , what should we look or ask for to see if he is a 70e person or a company guy who is admining a company safety plan, which is good. but i be more comfortable with a guy in the field who knows what he is talking about and has some tails to tell..

Many programs are subpar, there are also many good ones. I have posted long winded responses here discussing what to look for, search the threads if you want to read it. and chances are I know the company so you can PM me the trainers name if you like.

how long does a true 70e training take to complete? we are talking about 90% of the people are not electricians and no electrical training..

The electrical guys and the non electrical poeple should be trained seperatly, trainined for qualified and non-qualified persons is outlined in the 70E, my non -qualified coures was usually 4 hours and my qualified (LV) course was 16 hours.

they think they will they be a electrician after training.

They won't, 70E training has little to in common with electrical training, in fact you won't even find the word electrician in the 70E standards requirements.

wtucker

I hope these guys are calling this 70E training, not "qualified person training." At least three hours are necessary to cover the topic. I've had NFPA's day-long 70E training, as well as half days from consultants and even from Ken Mastrullo, and the topic was limited to exactly that: 70E. All the classes were composed of folks from different fields: electricians, HVAC and controls guys, and management.

Consultants who try to sell "qualified person training," don't know what they're talking about, because "qualified person training" goes way beyond 70E.

70E Art. 100 defines a "qualified person" as "one who has the skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the [specific] electrical equipment and installations AND has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."

Art. 110.6 spells out the training; 110.6(C) goes so far as to say "Employees shall be regularly instructed in methods of first aid and emergency procedures, such as approved methods of resuscitation, if their duties warrant such training."

acwservices

This is a very interesting topic to me since I am currently researching 70E training for my company. What qualifies an instructor as being capable to teach a 70e course? I know that NEC instructors have to be approved by the various states in order for their classes to be accepted as meeting the CE requirements, but how about qualifications for a 70e course? I understand the definition of a qualified person in article 100, and I am in fact very familiar with 70e in its entirety, but I do not feel qualified to teach a course pertaining to 70e.

zog

This is a very interesting topic to me since I am currently researching 70E training for my company. What qualifies an instructor as being capable to teach a 70e course? I know that NEC instructors have to be approved by the various states in order for their classes to be accepted as meeting the CE requirements, but how about qualifications for a 70e course? I understand the definition of a qualified person in article 100, and I am in fact very familiar with 70e in its entirety, but I do not feel qualified to teach a course pertaining to 70e.

Ask for a resume for the instructor, what are his qualifications? What boards and commitees has he sat on regarding the topic? What professional papers has he published?

Ask for references and actually call some of them, most training managers will be happy to give you feedback on a class and trainer.

What is the work history of the trainer? Is he just reading a canned course or is he really an expert in the feild with real life experience?

Look at the company, and the courses they offer. A red flag is a company that provides CPR, ladder safety, forklift, and oh yeah, we do arc flash training too. Look for a company that also provides arc flash surverys, engineering studies and other power system services. You want a real expert.

Your training should fit your specific needs, an Electrical Contractor has very different training needs than a large manufacturing plant. There is no such thing as a one size fits all training course. I used to customize every class I did based on the clients needs.

If the trainer does not ask you questions about your existing ESWP's, arc flash syudy, PPE program and request a pre training meeting, thats another red flag. Unless it is an open enrollment course, which is usually not as effective as one at your facility made just for you.

Remmember your training is a much larger investment than the course fee, you are setting a culture in motion that will determine how you do everything, from your PPE program, to your hazard analysis method, to your disipline program for non-compliance.

One more thing, if someone says they offer a 70E "Certification" course, run.

puckman

70e

70e

Does anyone know how if we recieve 70e training is there a time limit to it where you must recieve retraining to maintain some type of certifing? Is this training able to go from one company to another ?

wtucker

You want a list aof questions that will tell you if he knows what he is talking about? I can make you his worst nightmare :)

Good idea: Cut the guy off at the knees so that even if he might impart a little knowledge, nobody in the class will get anything out of it. And Mickeyrench can't wait. The guy just may be a P.E. in electrical engineering!

Wouldn't the more constructive approach be a list of questions that will help the instructor fill in the blanks? Instead of making the class the instructor's worst nightmare, maybe you should concentrate on making it the students' best learning experience!

zog

Does anyone know how if we recieve 70e training is there a time limit to it where you must recieve retraining to maintain some type of certifing? Is this training able to go from one company to another ?

The retraining requirements are spelled out in the 70E, it is basically a use it or lose it requirement. If you dont do the things covered in 1 year you need re-training. Or if condictions change (Equipment, procedures, etc.).

The qualification is made by the employer so no, it would not transfer to another company.

zog

Good idea: Cut the guy off at the knees so that even if he might impart a little knowledge, nobody in the class will get anything out of it. And Mickeyrench can't wait. The guy just may be a P.E. in electrical engineering!

Wouldn't the more constructive approach be a list of questions that will help the instructor fill in the blanks? Instead of making the class the instructor's worst nightmare, maybe you should concentrate on making it the students' best learning experience!

Being a EE dosn't make a difference, either he knows the material and how to apply it or he dosen't. I did mean to make a contructive list of questions focusing on application at this facility, many of these courses are canned and the class learns the requirements but comes out more confused than they went in on how to actually apply the requirements.

mickeyrench

thanks to all the replies to my post . Zog thanks for all the info to ask the instructor. He could be one of the company safety guys who is teaching a safety cause offered to the plants through out the state. We are hoping to get 70e training we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.