Safety Precautions for Megger Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a crew about to start megging transformers and feeders prior to start-up. Our typical precautions have been
  1. Review meter use principles
  2. Rated gloves (600 V)
  3. Limited approach boundary
Are there any suggestions for additional safety precautions?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I've got a crew about to start megging transformers and feeders prior to start-up. Our typical precautions have been
  1. Review meter use principles
  2. Rated gloves (600 V)
  3. Limited approach boundary
Are there any suggestions for additional safety precautions?

When I did this at a new power plant (10 years ago) we didn't do anything different using a megger than we did with a DVOM. When we used a hi-pot things were different.

Having to wear gloves while megging would suck. Especially if you have to record your readings. But if OSHA wants it, I guess we have to do it.

I don't know how much you have played with a megger, but you get WAY more of a shock from a regular old 120 volt circuit than a current limited 500 or 1000 volt megger. I know for sure that 120 volt supply systems can be fatal, but I have never heard of anyone getting killed, or even injured for that matter, from the electricity coming from a megger.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
K8MHZ--I do know of one guy who got hurt from a megger--although I don't think it was his fault :?--as he was asleep on the bench at the time we touched his elbow and ankle with the leads and spun the handle:angel:--He hit his head on the overhead lockers :ashamed:

Status
Not open for further replies.