Safety shower / eyewash install with flush floor recpts

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceS

During a safety walkthrough it was noted all the safety showers and eyewash stations do not have drains. In the same report it was noted there are flush receptacles in the floor.

Yes, the power was there first, the shower/eyewash installed later. This was my first fact verified. I know the NEC directs us to maintain distance or install GFI's around water. Doesn't a plumber have a set of codes which may say something like "Its bad, to spray or flood anything with water, which has live electricity? ( OK, BAD HUMOR )

Real question... Is there a exception loophole for safety showers / eyewash stations which are undrained? I have already read the scripture iaw NEC70, and found none....

My solution initially was GFI CB's but also found 3PH 480 in one of the floor
j- box's with junctions. Looking for a cheap/simple solution.

Thanks in advance

big john

Other than moving the receptacle: McMaster-Carr sells an ELCI to pick up ground-fault current on 480V, 3 phase, 40A circuits. I don't believe it meets the criteria for a class-A GFCI, however it does have a 5mA trip setting which provides me with a lot more peace-of-mind than having no protection at all.

We've used them in a number of locations where guys are around water with 480V equipment. They mount directly on the wall and you bring conduit or tubing into them. Not too complicated, but for $700 not very cheap.

-John

TxEngr

Have a chemical exposure, run to the safety shower to clean chemical off and get electrocuted - now that would be a bad day!

The chemical showers are probably located for a specific reason due to a chemical exposure. If the chemcial and showers can't be moved, then perhaps some containment (curbing, barriers, etc.) could be constructed to contain the water from the shower and eye wash station.

I'm not sure of any specific rules pertaining to this but common sense tells you what that something needs to be done.

Just my opinion...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have a chemical exposure, run to the safety shower to clean chemical off and get electrocuted - now that would be a bad day!
"Yes, but look how clean he is now!" :cool:

(Variation on the "Yes, but, look how well the suit fits!" joke.)

Status
Not open for further replies.