Safety strap for ladder work

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there a harness or strap made to allow me to lean back to free both hands while working on a ladder?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Agreed. And OSHA doesnt require harnesses on temporary ladders

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I guess you could use a climbing belt and strap off to the rungs.
As long as the ladder is strapped off , it could be safer…

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Firefighters have used "pompier" belts for that purpose.
Gemtor Pompier Belts are designed and classified as ladder/escape belts. They are intended for use both as a positioning device for a person on a ladder as well as for use by the wearer as an emergency self-rescue device. Gemtor Pompier Belts are specified by departments around the world and have become synonymous with quality and dependability.
1675546491873.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I like the apparatus that Don posted but it doesn't seem to have too much flexibility if you need to move around or change positions. I use a tree climbing harness with an adjustable lanyard connected to the D rings.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Firefighters have used "pompier" belts for that purpose.

View attachment 2563896
That sure looks like what Johnny and Roy had on Squad 51. ;)

I climbed towers (just a big ol' vertical ladder, right?) up to 40 feet for years with nothing but a Klein telephone lineman's belt.

I have a proper harness now, providing 100-percent tie-off, but it gets heavier with each passing year.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I bought a fall-suppression strap today, which has about two feet of strap bundled in a length of clear heat-shrink (I'm guessing) tubing as a shock absorber. It's six feet long with two very sturdy clips.

My lean should be more than gentle enough to avoid pulling any of the strap out of the tube. I don't really need to lean back; I just want enough security to not have to lean forward, one arm around a rung.

1675728932197.png

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
I bought a fall-suppression strap today, which has about two feet of strap bundled in a length of clear heat-shrink (I'm guessing) tubing as a shock absorber. It's six feet long with two very sturdy clips.

My lean should be more than gentle enough to avoid pulling any of the strap out of the tube. I don't really need to lean back; I just want enough security to not have to lean forward, one arm around a rung.

View attachment 2563909

How do you plan to connect it?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's nice to have some adjustment on the lanyard. I use an arborist flipline similar to this with an ART postioner.

LANARTKIT16

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How do you plan to connect it?
Clip it to itself in a single loop around me and the ladder.

If it's too long, I'll loop it around one or both ladder rails.

I'm looking to be able to raise both hands over my head.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I noted on the British TV show Escape to the Country, a segment where some one was installing an Owl House on a tree using a ladder leaned against the tree. I noted a fall restraint device at the top of the ladder with a lanyard that the climber used. The part on the ladder was very fast and not about the ladder, but there was something there for fall protection

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Where might one find such a beast?
Any arborist supply will have a number of flip lines. The ART Positoner 2 ($$$$) that I posted in post #11 isn't really necessary for what you want to do, I only use it because I have one for tree work. Something like this with a prusik cord for adjustment will work just fine. The idea is the get it adjusted so that you can be hands free and still be balanced on the ladder rung. This one will require an additional carabiner.
LYPKM-1605-SH_1__73016.1637181781.jpg

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I use my pole climbing belt and an adjustable lanyard. It is not a very cheap option, but when you need the gear to climb poles, it is very comfortable as it is made for that leaned back position. I'll try to post a photo of my actual gear later today.

1675790056086.png

1675789971113.png

Last edited:

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I use my pole climbing belt and an adjustable lanyard. It is not a very cheap option, but when you need the gear to climb poles, it is very comfortable as it is made for that leaned back position. I'll try to post a photo of my actual gear later today.

View attachment 2563922

View attachment 2563919
My gear in the photo. Belt is a Bashlin with (L to R) Orange Utility Hook, Bolt Bag, Handline Carrier and Tool Pouch added on. Be aware that the belt with tools is about 25-30 lbs. The Yellow Item is the adjustable lanyard. The Brown/Blue is a Fall Restricting Wood Pole lanyard (no more brown straps allowed), just for completeness. Both Lanyards are DBI/SALA. I left my hooks in the truck (very old Klien's) with Buckingham Velcro Pads.

Attachments

• Climbing Gear.jpg
    Climbing Gear.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.