Salary for instructor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich000

Can anyone give me an idea what an electrical instructor at a votec institute makes per hour? I am interviewing for a position and have no idea what they make and do not want to short myself or ask for too much either. I am located in Virginia.

raider1

Staff member
Is this a full time or part time position?

Are you getting benefits or is this going to be a contract type of arrangement?

Chris

zog

Can anyone give me an idea what an electrical instructor at a votec institute makes per hour? I am interviewing for a position and have no idea what they make and do not want to short myself or ask for too much either. I am located in Virginia.

At a VOTEC, not much. Go out on your own, you can make six fugures easy.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was going to do this because I like to teach, but I also would like to make some money at it.

I would guess no more than $40,000.

However, the benefits tend to be pretty good and the number of actual working hours tends to be a lot less than 40 per week, with a lot of time off that is paid for. Think of it as a part time job with FT benefits.

I teach at a VOTEC

I teach at a VOTEC

I teach continueing education at a votec. It is only about 6 hours a week. I don't do it for the money as much as I do it because I like to teach. You will not become rich teaching at a VOTEC but it is rewarding

kwired

Electron manager
instructor I had 20 years ago had a contractor license. His primary job was teaching he also did other jobs since he was contractor but it was only what he wanted to do not every and any call that came in (he did not advertise).

His brother was also a contractor running a full time business he helped him sometimes. The guy also teaches continuing ed classes on his own time.

sounds to me like not too bad of a job to have. The benefits package from most schools probably are not too bad, this school had class mon thru thurs, so fri could do other work if you want or go fishing, and summers off, more other work if you want or go fishing.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I teach part time, one basic course. I am paid @$4500 per class per semester. The class meets Mondays from 6:00-7:40 pm , and tuesdays 6-9 for hands on "lab" work. Its not the best money but I really enjoy it and its easy.

cadpoint

You can root around and fine a number on the internet.

Let them make you an offer, it's not like your applying for an electric job(get it going in).

If this is State position, there will be a contract (I believe that's right for VA).
The base pay can be based on your region but should be close to regular teacher pay, fine lets go with ? the rate of teacher pay. (OK IT?s JUST A SWAG)

VA has what's called independent cities where they can contract employment, but the pay and requirements to teach are to be met at a state level and paid for by them through a city wage scale, but one is still a state employee.

My Wife signs a contract every year, works for a country system but is a state employee...

If it's in a rural setting then the terms and pay-out might well be different.

I just wanted to throw that out so you?re not broadsided with this information of the "pay-out" situation.

You got to love seeing them light up with knowledge is sinking in!

Good Luck in your endeavors!!!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You will spend much time preparing - are you paid only for podium time or is there time allowed for class prep?

I used to instruct for a community college, they paid me on a W-9.
I could not deduct my expenses.
Now I have my own business, I can travel and its all a legal deduction.
I can go the IAIE mtgs etc and deduct those as well.
I still put hundreds of hours into a class.
Rule of thumb is 8 hours prep for one hour podium time.

KP2

I teach in CT and the going rate for a E2 is about $25 per hour. When I first started the person who interviewed me said your not going to get rich doing this job but it is a great job. I started less then I wanted but after a few years I broke even and it is fun. I teach at a private school 5 days a week but we go all year with a week off every 12 weeks between terms.

"The more you learn the less you realized you knew"

In Massachusetts, a Voc/Tec instructor in a public high school, who is fully certified by the state, can expect to start at about $50K. After about 10 years that number will go up to about $70K, depending on the particular school district and the teacher's level of education. Most contracts in this state reward an employees higher level of education. these numbers are in addition to benefits that are not as cushy as some would believe. For instance, I pay 40% of my health insurance, and it is not the best policy in the world. The pay is based on 182 teaching days each year. Good luck.

It is a great profession if you like young people. If you do not like young people DO NOT take this career path, the kids will eat you up...believe me!!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In Massachusetts, a Voc/Tec instructor in a public high school, who is fully certified by the state, can expect to start at about $50K. After about 10 years that number will go up to about $70K, depending on the particular school district and the teacher's level of education. Most contracts in this state reward an employees higher level of education. these numbers are in addition to benefits that are not as cushy as some would believe. For instance, I pay 40% of my health insurance, and it is not the best policy in the world. The pay is based on 182 teaching days each year. Good luck.

It is a great profession if you like young people. If you do not like young people DO NOT take this career path, the kids will eat you up...believe me!!
Most of us have to work about 240-250 days a year. Most teacher pensions far exceed what could be gotten in the private sector (as do almost all government employee pensions). Having to pay 40% of your own health insurance is pretty common, less common in government jobs though.

No teaching job will be real lucrative, but its not exactly minimum wage and getting FT pay for not working FT is a pretty decent perk.

Me, I could not stand 30 or 40 years of screaming brats.

Status
Not open for further replies.