San Diego Emergency Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a project in San Diego and from other parts of the country. I am wanting to run the building off of the emergency generators while I upgrade the service entrance. I was told that I can't do this because you can only run 20 hours of generator a year. Has anybody else had to deal with this?

RUWired

You might have to check with department of environmental protection and see if the generator is under a permit and what the rules are for the permit.

Rick

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I am working on a project in San Diego and from other parts of the country. I am wanting to run the building off of the emergency generators while I upgrade the service entrance. I was told that I can't do this because you can only run 20 hours of generator a year. Has anybody else had to deal with this?

I have heard of this but not dealt with it. It is my understanding that it is basically an environmental impact tax for running your generators.

This site confirms it http://blink.ucsd.edu/safety/environment/outdoor/air-pollution.html#Emergency-generators-(diesel-en

Last edited:

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered

It is the way the Genset is permitted, i.e. standby/emergency power. You would need to get it changed to permitting for a peaking unit to run more hours, however even to do that there are some new air quality requirements that would require changes to the amount of emissions.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You can have a generator with higher emissions, if you expect it to to run for a limited number of hours. But if the utility transformer were to fail, and if the utility needed a week to replace it, that generator would run for more than the prescribed number of hours. I suggest a conversation with the local authorities, to see what they will allow, and to see if they would require any special measures to reduce the emissions during your installation time.

Status
Not open for further replies.