Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold

And where are you getting that info from?

Do you need a source to confirm wind turbines and solar panels don't meltdown or that background radiation you are exposed to in your own back yard is more hazardous then wind and sunshine? Please be more specific.

zog

Do you need a source to confirm wind turbines and solar panels don't meltdown or that background radiation you are exposed to in your own back yard is more hazardous then wind and sunshine? Please be more specific.

Radiation levels in the sun are higher than they are inside working areas of a nuclear plant, which is why they don't allow dosimitry to leave the plant.

Radiation levels in a coal plants are around 10x the levels in nuclear plants.

As usual, you are just showing your ignorance on the topic.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Fly across the US from NY to LA 100x and get the equivalent dose as living at sea level for a year. Live in Denver your entire life and get 2x the dose as someone at sea level. As toxicologists say, "It's the dose that makes the poison." I'd rather live with a nuke in my backyard than a coal-fired plant; that beast puts out more radiation from released uranium and thorium in the coal than any nuke would be allowed to belch.

And by the way, Salem had a "steam dump" that did not involve any water that had come in contact with the reactor core, anti-nuke hysteria notwithstanding. No unusual radiation release.

Gold

As usual, you are just showing your ignorance on the topic.

Personal attacks aside, which part is ignorant? Normal radiation from nukes is more dangerous then wind and sunshine or turbines don't melt down? Which one of those statements warrants the personal attacks Zog? Am I wrong? Do the projected fall out maps from a wind turbine meltdown stretch half way around the world?

topgone

Been reading all your posts but I don't think arguing on the best source of energy can answer the OP's question re how does the effects of a storm like Sandy be done away with. The cold fact is the sources were there (though some have to shut down due to inclement weather) but lines got damaged. Been there, had experienced how hard it is to keep the units humming when the loads just dropped one by one! That, I guess should be our focus as people in this industry. Peace!

Gold

There was none, that is the point, you are just making stuff up. You know, like your 4 year ROI's.

So thats your story then? Thats what your going with, nothing was released from Salem due to the storm?

How long as the steam dump?

Don't those steam dumps contain tritium krypton and xenon gases

Doesn't the NRC advise these dumps last no longer then 30 minutes?

Last edited:

highvolts582

I live at the jersey shore.

I live at the jersey shore.

I have a small company my self and helper everything was just fine before the storm hit. I do not pay for advertising I am almost 5 years old in buisiness and I generate enough work to keep busy just by existing. Now I have enough for 10 trucks to be busy coming at me. I am trying to expand some to add profits. people are trying to pull me running up to me you name it. Its a curse and blessing. My protocol is if it got wet and its not supposed to. Panel/Romex/metal boxes(easier to rewire with plastic boxes.) Horrible prognosis. Just got done with a ranch home from panel every home run hits the crawl and pops up everywhere. I changed the service and rewired the skirt new circuits I ran over head. I replace all romex and metal clad that was flooded. Its Salt by the way. I used type uf cable so next time it would be a device change. I believe this is legal although I have heard rumors its not. I believe I found it was fine but cant remember when and how can anyone let me know if that is an ok wiring method. I turned on a flooded panel I installed a couple of years ago the salt and corrosion white stuff sapping out of the metal is conductive I watched as it smoked between bar and panel casing It was a cutler Br. If it was a ch or qo it may not have done this. but still must go. I know there may be clean up procedures for flooded Panelboards replace this replace that and if I was in a commercial setting where it could save the customer money I would do so but for your average dwelling replace is most effecient for you and the customer... mostly you. I see the wrong thing happening everywhere. I talked to an adjuster from alabama his way of of describing what they will pay for is 5 junction boxes and 250 feet of wire. I was like how does not even compute to what needs to be done. Then proceeds to tell the customer that if the wire passes through flooded area and no junction or ends of wires exposed it is ok to leave it.

They gave me his number I started out by complimenting his accent even though I sound worse because I have a jersey accent.
Picked his brain pulled some rank (meaning I know more than him) then he said something like weeeeeellllll I dont particularly like salt water thats a scares me a little and then said the larger wires such as the "stove wires they ought to be just fine." It ended up like make a contract not a proposal something they can sign dont be elaborate just change all receptcles and all wet wires and he might not have a problem with what I am saying needs to be done. Oh and he will look into the wires being wet thing. This man must have been through a 100 houses already. This is an Allstate flood insurance inspector from Alabama and he does not quite know what the hell he is talking about. and I am getting reports of the same kind of thing. Out of state inspectors that are hard to understand.

And the people look at me like I have horns coming out of my head a little they agree with me but are just a bit confused I printed out the nema article and will use that to back me up.

Ill post anything else I think is interesting I see that is not normally seen because Sandy blew my territory to pieces.

sorry no time for spell check or grammer I only have time write cause this is a great way vent.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.