Satellite Dish linear Actuator

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have a couple Linear actuators from old Sat dishes. One gives 32 pulse per inch of travel the other a pot.

The one I am curious about has a variable resistor (Pot) to give position feedback I remember similar for damper positioning. Operator would turn control to set the damper and the damper would open or close until its reached a similar resistance or position to the operators.

I'm looking for a diagram and/or the logic.

Who remembers such an animal?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The one with the pot likely has an LVDT (Linear Variable Displacement Transducer) inside of the actuator that detects distance and direction of travel of the cylinder inside. So the simple feedback loop is that the user sets the pot to a voltage value that represents a percentage of the full travel, the actuator moves until the feedback from the LVDT matches that value. It’s crude and not terribly accurate (meaning the pot), but simple and LVDTs are very robust.

kwired

Electron manager
The one with the pot likely has an LVDT (Linear Variable Displacement Transducer) inside of the actuator that detects distance and direction of travel of the cylinder inside. So the simple feedback loop is that the user sets the pot to a voltage value that represents a percentage of the full travel, the actuator moves until the feedback from the LVDT matches that value. It’s crude and not terribly accurate (meaning the pot), but simple and LVDTs are very robust.

I think he is asking the logic of how modulating damper/valve actuators and such that use some sort of balancing circuit for control work. Many of us know it is seeking balance by turning output shaft until it reaches the right spot to balance the resistor network used for control but don't know what actually makes it do it's thing in the controller as it is all incorporated into the circuit board on the controller, which is inside the actuator motor assembly in most cases and all you do in the field is run three wires to the control pot or you sometimes may just short the wiper lead to either end in situations you wish to drive the output to either end of range of travel.

kwired

Electron manager
Looks like you are having fun with your retirement.

My wife always asks me why I keep a lot of the "junk" I have - need something to play with someday I guess. Right now only experimentation with anything comes from a current necessity situation.