satellite/ internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer that is building a house in remote location, the only internet he can get in from satellite or a dish, never had to deal with it before, how many runs of rg6 and what else i got to run for his internet and tv . thanks for your help

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
amazing electric said:
I have a customer that is building a house in remote location, the only internet he can get in from satellite or a dish, never had to deal with it before, how many runs of rg6 and what else i got to run for his internet and tv .
For internet, you need a single RG-6 to the modem location. From there, you'll run a typical CAT-5e to the router, and from there to each network termination.

For satellite TV, you'll need 4 RG-6's from the dish to the TV, and two RG-6's and a CAT-3 (or CAT-5e) for phone to each tuner location. Check with the sat service.

Rampage_Rick

Depends on the setup. Since you say remote, I'm assuming no phone line for uplink. 2-way satellite requires 2 runs of RG6: one for TX and one for RX. The modem might be USB, in which case the RG6 must run to the location of the computer. If the modem is ethernet based it can be placed separately with a run of CAT5 as Larry described. I find no fault with everything else he listed, save for the fact that phone wiring might be unnecessary if there's no phone service (though the CAT5 would serve equally well for multiple computers)

realolman

for hughes net satellite a twin coax from satellite to the modem. A double connector with a grounding lug right inside the house. Rj 45 / cat 5 from modem to computer. Or better yet from modem to wireless router.

The satellite co. was pretty adamant about having one of their own contractors installing it. After it was said and done I think that was better. They made the contractor take pictures and everything. He did a nice job, and there's a bit more to the satellite dish than the TV dish... it looks like a death ray.

I?m using Direct TV and they wanted 2 dedicated lines to the modem, and 2 to every TV box.

I ended up running 4 home runs to everything. My dish is about 75? from the house and used a used 6? metal conduct out to the dish. I have 4 lines of liquid tight with 2 Rg6 in each one. I have had 2 lightning hits so far to the dish and have had to switch witch set of Rg6 lines 2 times. The next one I will be pulling more wires.

Memnon

I ended up running 4 home runs to everything.

That sounds about normal these days. We did a lot of these types of home runs in our high rise loft renovation projects (I don't do the installing anymore, I've since been moved into the office) and most of them required at least two RG6s to each outlet along with two Cat 5es. Sometimes we would use a composite cable, much easier to install that way.

The risers to the rooftop were often 6 RG6, sometimes RG11 if it was required.

ceb

I have wild blue sat. they ran twin coax to their box and then I ran cat 5 to wireless router. In my opp. it is best to let them install INTERNET sat. they can hook on to the dish with their meter and dial the signal in. The installer and I were talking about the dish he said NEVER put your hand ( or any other body part ) between the dish and the transducer its like jumping in a microwave oven and turning it on high. I was tempted to go get a hot dog and a stick but.....:grin:

jacobsond

sat internet from dish or wildblue take 2 RG6 coax sollid copper core rated to 3GHZ to the modem cat 5 from there. Dish setups vary depending on recievers. 2 coaxes and a phone would be bare min for both direct and dish. Add onother coax for off air antenna.Direct tv can have as many as 5 cables from the dish to a multiswitch and 8 or more cables comming from that. Dish net no more than 3 cables from the dish then if needed a multiswitch with 4 or more cables out of that to the recievers. I strongly recomend that whichever service you get a site survey from the Dish company. You dont want to have everything run and have him come out and say "it wont work there" I just had one of those this week. The HO was not to pleased when I told him his location had no line of site for the dish and he had to few cables comming out. Most of us sat guys are more than happy to tell you what you need to install b-4 we get there it makes our job easier.However no contact with us usually means something will be overlooked and the HO will not get the system he wants. Line of sight most overlooked thing get your angles and direction before you pick the spot. Consider the grounding also the other always overlooked problem. Dont make the sat guy try to run a ground 50ft he likley wont do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.