Sauna trailer

FlatStanley

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Hi everyone. This might be long. I have a friend who built a sauna on a 20 something foot flatbed trailer. Built out of wood with a suana and a hang out room, shower. Decent size. He asked me to do his electrical. The actual sauna is wood stove, so I don't have to worry about that. I added some plugs, a water heater and lights for him. I'm installing a outdoor 100 amp panel, with a 50 amp inlet using 6/3 romex. He's planning on using a portable generator to run everything. I have over 3 years of residential experience but have never done anything like this. So I have a few questions. How would grounding work in a situation like this? The trailer will be possibly moving around. How would I make sure everything is grounded and safe? Do i need to run ground rods or bond all the electrical to the metal? Would the panel be considered a sub since its fed from a generator? Do I need the panel to a main breaker or can I use a main lug. I know its a lot of questions, but it just becomes more confusing the more I think about it. I have little understanding on generators work. Thanks in advance.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Is this for personal or commercial use?
In WA a trailer would be considered a factory assembled structure and there are special rules and permits, you might check your state requirements and start there for any special wiring requirements

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Do i need to run ground rods
No. Ground rods aren't required for portable generators and are one of the most useless things in the electrical world.
or bond all the electrical to the metal? Would the panel be considered a sub since its fed from a generator?
Yes.
Do I need the panel to a main breaker or can I use a main lug.
It's your choice. I would use a main breaker. You need to know how the generator is configured, if it's a floating neutral or bonded, to decide how to wire the inlet. Most likely it's bonded at the generator, or can be, and four wire inlet and cord would be correct.