Sauna

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

can anyone point me to an NEC requirement for Sauna Heater At 240v (disconnect requirements)? Thank you!

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I could not find anything under "Sauna" but my guess would be 422.31(B) will apply. Also, follow the instruction manual.

Lets see what others have to say.

I will keep searching.

resistance

I was on the topic of the disco (Thats why I said "got the same"). My initial—I was hoping—would cover all basis related to the disconnect (Meaning: I figured someone would bring up the disco being within sight or other related topics on the disco). Once I seen that we seen the same, The GFCI was just an added convo..

kwired

Electron manager
As far as GFCI protection goes there is no general increased risk of electric shock to users of the sauna like there is for swimming pools or spas. You are usually in a small room or other space that has a heater with or without added humidity. No different then having a furnace in your house with a humidifier but you usually don't turn the set point as high.

retirede

My sauna heater is designed to have water poured onto it in order to produce steam. It is in my finished basement and has a bare concrete floor. The installation instructions did not mention GFCI and I don't believe GFCI is required by code, but I could see one making a case for including it.

kwired

Electron manager
My sauna heater is designed to have water poured onto it in order to produce steam. It is in my finished basement and has a bare concrete floor. The installation instructions did not mention GFCI and I don't believe GFCI is required by code, but I could see one making a case for including it.
If the sauna in question were cord and plug protected - the basement location would have more impact on needing GFCI protection for the receptacle then the fact it is supplying a sauna. That said if it is a finished basement as you say the NEC still doesn't require GFCI protection unless maybe the receptacle were within six feet of a sink or in a bathroom.

retirede

If the sauna in question were cord and plug protected - the basement location would have more impact on needing GFCI protection for the receptacle then the fact it is supplying a sauna. That said if it is a finished basement as you say the NEC still doesn't require GFCI protection unless maybe the receptacle were within six feet of a sink or in a bathroom.

In my case, it is direct-wired 240V, 30A.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
can anyone point me to an NEC requirement for Sauna Heater At 240v (disconnect requirements)? Thank you!

I would consider the sauna an appliance so this would be applicable

422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances.
(A) Rated at Not over 300 Volt-Amperes or 1∕8 Horsepower.
For permanently connected appliances rated at not over
300 volt-amperes or 1∕8 hp, the branch-circuit overcurrent
device shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means
where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the
appliance or is lockable in accordance with 110.25.
(B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes. For permanently
connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes, the
branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to
serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit
breaker is within sight from the appliance or is lockable in
accordance with 110.25.

resistance

As far as GFCI protection goes there is no general increased risk of electric shock to users of the sauna like there is for swimming pools or spas. You are usually in a small room or other space that has a heater with or without added humidity. No different then having a furnace in your house with a humidifier but you usually don't turn the set point as high.
TY! Good info!!

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm looking at doing an outdoor sauna (link below). It's an 8kW 40A 240V heater. The instructions specifically state "Do not use GFCI with this heater". I'm planning to have a disconnect on the house within sight (similar to a hot tub) with no GFCI protection then run my conduit through the ground (about 20') then through the wall of the sauna and directly into the heater. Running 8AWG THWN the whole way.

I'm surprised the NEC doesn't have specific requirements for saunas. It seems very likely that someone would either be sweaty or wet from walking out to the sauna and then touch the heater when they're turning it on or off or adding water. GFCI seems like it should be a no brainer, but alas, the manufacturer feels otherwise. Maybe they feel that the wooden barrel is enough of an insulator? Or they feel like life safety is less important than other business decisions.

Anybody see anything wrong with my installation?

https://almostheaven.com/wp-content/uploads/Barrel-Manual-11-25-19.pdf

https://almostheaven.com/wp-content/uploads/KIP-Heater-Manual-Final-2020.pdf

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Not 240v but I have mine on gfci and a switch, in a 4sq. box.

Status
Not open for further replies.