Save Power America

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these people,
http://www.savepoweramerica.com/
I have a customer that wants to buy one and put one her day spa.
I'm suspicious but I'm also not an engineer.
The idea intrigues me but if it sounds to good to be true, you know?
It appears to be a cap bank to improve power factors.
Anybody with experience with one of these?

Thanks

Last edited:

Rampage_Rick

Here's your first warning:

"ORDER NOW AND RECEIVE YOUR "FREE VACATION GETAWAY"
YOU AND A COMPANION WILL ENJOY THREE FUN-FILLED DAYS AND TWO EXCITING EVENINGS OF HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS AT ANY OF TWENTY-FIVE BEAUTIFUL DESTINATIONS. THESE INCLUDE LAS VEGAS, ORLANDO, ST. THOMAS, HAWAII, BRANSON, COZUMEL, DAYTONA BEACH AND MANY MORE!!!"

I get it...
I told her I would get on here where people are smarter than me and ask your opinions
She's into MLM and I'm thinking this is also something along those lines too.
I also apologize for reposting something that's already been discussed.
I thought I had searched and not found anything about them here...
Please accept my apologies.

Last edited:

rattus

im_the_tech said:
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these people,
http://www.savepoweramerica.com/
I have a customer that wants to buy one and put one her day spa.
I'm suspicious but I'm also not an engineer.
The idea intrigues me but if it sounds to good to be true, you know?
It appears to be a cap bank to improve power factors.
Anybody with experience with one of these?

Thanks
Gary in Oklahoma

There are valid reasons to improve PF in some cases, but first there must be a PF penalty in the electric rate, and then there must be a cost analysis to see if it would ever pay for itself. Sounds like a gimmick to me.

Minuteman

got_nailed said:
MLM = Multi-level marketing ?

I must have tattoo on my forehead, that can be only be seen by MLM'ers. I walk into a room and they come out of the woodwork, drawing circles on paper and telling me about how to make somebody ELSE rich.

Yuck!

bill j

One of my local supply houses usually has "new" things out on the table for us to check out when we come in. These were out there and I don't think they went over too well. I believe for one thing they are useless on resistive loads. Not sure if these are the same thing. Heck, I can hardly get people to upgrade to a TVSS.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Anyone who markets a product, on the WWW or in print, who feels the need to legitimize their claims with this:
TV.jpg
as if it were the good houskeeping seal of approval, or a UL listing, you know has to be full of it.

bhsrnd

Unfortunately for that company they don't hold UL's "magical money saving device" listing but they do hold one as a power factor correction capacitor

name=CYWT.E247765&ccnshorttitle=Cap...n=versionless&parent_id=1073985315&sequence=1

I read the university study posted on their site and the conclusion leaves that device wide open for additional impact studies. I'd imagine in some cases a customer could end up paying more on an electric bill than actually saving anything due to the constant capacitance going on 24/7.

Save Power America... an update, sort of

Save Power America... an update, sort of

Yes, MLM is definitely multi level marketing.

I talked to her yesterday evening and she told me that this guy talking to her about this "product" claims to have them in several businesses in Broken Arrow Ok.
Supposedly they all love them.
I told her she should try to talk to some of these business owners before she makes her decision to purchase one.

I advised her to not waste her money. We'll see...

Thanks again

coulter

bhsrnd said:
... I'd imagine in some cases a customer could end up paying more on an electric bill than actually saving anything due to the constant capacitance going on 24/7.
Single phase residential services don't pay a power factor penalty. Reactive power is also not charged. The only extra charge would be for the small copper losses (from the reactive current) between the meter and the device.

carl

rattus

coulter said:
Single phase residential services don't pay a power factor penalty. Reactive power is also not charged. The only extra charge would be for the small copper losses (from the reactive current) between the meter and the device.

carl

True, and the addition of an unneeded capacitor bank could create a leading PF which would incur additional copper losses. That is what bhsrnd is saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.