Sba/score

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday I met up with a guy from SCORE. WOW! I had no idea the government had such a great programs to help small business.

The guy that I met up with was a retired CFO or something. He was way over qualified to advise me about my small business. But he gave an hour of his time (for free!?!). Offered to rewrite my business plan over the three day weekend (for free!). Then he suggested that we go together to a banker he knew and get a line of credit that was much bigger than I had ever dreamed of.

I still can't get my head around it. The only interaction that I had with government was in the form of fines for late tax deposits. Then here comes this guy experienced, educated, positive attitude, and talking about taken it to the next level!!! (for free!)

Has anybody dealt with the SBA? I?d really be interested to hear.

mdshunk

s.sparkomatic.r09 said:
Has anybody dealt with the SBA? I’d really be interested to hear.
No, I haven't, but keep us posted. I'm quite curious to know how it works out over time for you.

I knew of those resources, but purposely didn't use them. I think that for me it would have been too much too quick. I'm probably wrong though. My sister used those resources quite effectively and she's now got three totally different businesses up and running profitably (lawncare, seafood store, daycare center). She also got students from a local university to do a lot of the plan writings as part of whatever program they were in.

mdshunk

One thing that seems to be true from people I know who've used/tried to use SBA resources is that you pretty much already need to have the thing up and running yourself to stand a better chance of tapping into government money. Did you learn anything that would lead you to believe that this is true or untrue, Sparkomatic?

Marc,I started out one man band 9 years ago. Now have 6 guys in the summer 3 guys over winter. The SCORE guy was really interested in book keeping and how I count stuff. Didn?t say anything about grants or free money. SCORE guy said it was important to have history and things that a bank could take and sell if you screw up.

mdshunk

s.sparkomatic.r09 said:
The SCORE guy was really interested in book keeping and how I count stuff. Didn’t say anything about grants or free money. SCORE guy said it was important to have history and things that a bank could take and sell if you screw up.
That pretty much squares with what I thought I knew then.

Another great resource that I have enjoyed that key in with what you're talking about are the writings of David Gass :
http://www.bcscredit.com/blog/?p=70

nafis

I have worked with them before ,they are great resources for new ideas. Make sure to ask for the free questioner business plan kit to help you write your business plan. I also used their recommend CPA, lawyer. They also have free classes on different Topic . good luck

Sparky555

I used this service once quite awhile ago and got more than one response from around the country. It was extremely interesting getting different perspectives from different business people. I was very grateful & would recommend it to anyone. I haven't used it since & the only reason I can think of is that electrical residential service is a very different beast from other businesses & some of the rules don't transfer well.

Dave

cadpoint

Yes this is a very good thing, seasoned professional usually that are retired that knows what it takes, heavy knowldege on the business side every business would benifit from this service. I believe there is a screening process just like anything else. Sound like you qualified !

It's frankly quite to your advangate to take everything this man might have to offer, (OK at least it'll be something to think about) He's got you thinking outside your sandbox, in any case and that's always a good thing.

tmbrk

I've used the Small Business Developement Center by me. They are funded through fed and state grants. Great free information, one on one counciling. I never thought to use SCORE even though I remember one of my instructors in trade school was a member and donated his time. I remember he had something to do with Airfone and GTE.

Thanks for the link to SCORE.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.