Sconces in tub area

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhombus65

I have had a few situations lately that customers wanted to have wall sconce light fixtures installed on the walls surrounding a tub (no shower). I have been telling the customers that this is not allowed.

Recently I was talking with another electrician who says that the inspector in his town allows sconses in this case. The inspector says there is nothing in the code prohibiting this.

Anyone have any thoughts on this that they would like to share?

rhombus65

Re: Sconces in tub area

Thanks guys for your input.

I do not know why I kept thinking that I could not put the sconces in the tub area. It is just what I always thought.

Thanks again.

bill addiss

there is nothing wrong with wall skonces in the tub area.
I can't agree with this statement as worded. But, do agree that there are no rules against it in the NEC.

Bill

mthead

While sconces may not specifically be prohibited from tub and shower area's,common sense would seem to dictate that it could easily compromise the safety of those using that area.
Pierre said it already-the fixture would have to be listed for use in a damp/wet location.That is how the inspectors I work with enforce it.

iwire

Staff member

Not that I think it is a good idea either, but the fact that it is not a shower area..

Originally posted by rhombus65:
wall sconce light fixtures installed on the walls surrounding a tub (no shower).
Wouldn't that mean that this is a dry location?

At least as far as the rating of the fixture.

I would think it would all depend on the design of the bathroom.

Think of those large designer bathrooms with a Jacuzzi tub with a large tiled surround 'shelf', you know the place they put all the flowers and lighted candles. ;)

It would not be my house thats for sure. :p

rich000

It is being done alot in high end houses. While not a violation, some would argue it is a safety hazard.

Why not put the lights on a GFCI outlet or breaker?

bennie

Esteemed Member

Wall skonces over tubs, do not even make the chart of home safety hazards.

What is dangerous about a fixture, usually on the back wall, being over a bath tub?

Let's give the public some credit for common sense, to not put their finger in the socket with the switch on.

bill addiss

What is dangerous about a fixture, usually on the back wall, being over a bath tub?
Bennie,

We've been through this before. I too hope the public has enough common sense to figure this one out on their own.

Bill

rhombus65

Thank you all for your replies. It is great to hear the different opinions.

Hear is how I intend to handle the situation. Just my opinion...

I do not agree that the fixtures need to suitable for damp or wet location. If it were over a kitchen sink there would be no such requirement.

I agree with rich000 that GF protection for the lights sounds like a good practice. Although not necessary I think i will use GF Protection.

As for Bennie: :eek: Let's Not Assume...

Ahgain thank you all.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Why does the NEC do this we have to abide by the NEC in regards to a phone line being protected but its ok to have a sconce in a tub area???????

Status
Not open for further replies.