Scotch 33 plus and 88

Status
Not open for further replies.

cougercat

New User
Occupation
electrical
Hello All,

Lately, we have been running across brand new rolls of Scotch 33 and 88 with the adhesive stuck to the outer side of the black tape. This has made it difficult to keep clean if it has been stuck into a tool box or someones pocket. There have also been several inches within the roll in various spots where it appears that no adhesive was applied as it is not sticky at all there. We usually try to send these back to our supplier but...

What causes this to happen?

Is there a recommended tape other than these two that can be used for general electrical work including medium voltage?

Thank you,

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have only seen that on old product. I believe they have date codes, but you may have to contact 3M to decipher them.

ppsh

Occupation
Electrician
Have yet to run into that. The year of manufacture has been printed on the inside for the core for probably the last 15 years.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Is there a recommended tape other than these two that can be used for general electrical work including medium voltage?
33 and 88 are fine tapes. Yours' are just past their "best if used by" date. I had boxes of it neglected on a shelf. Went to use some one day and that's exactly what I found.

" We usually try to send these back to our supplier but... "

Ahh, no. With newly purchased product this shouldn't be happening at all and is an indication that your suppler is either selling you old product they have had lying around or not buying fresh stock from the manufacturer. I would look for a different supplier.

-Hal

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I've seen tape ruined by excessive heat.
When I was in China they used what look like black electrical tape but it had no adhesive at all. They just wrapped it around and tied it off. They did something similar with the wires. No wire nuts. They had a special knot they used to tie the wires together and then wrap the tape with no adhesive over it. It seemed kind of strange to me but it worked. They were very impressed with the wire nuts and adhesive tape we brought with us. We left all that stuff in the custody of the plant electrician when we took off. He was quite pleased with himself.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
And there was me thinking it was Glenmorangie.............................:(

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Old cars from the 50's had the wiring harnesses wrapped up with that stuff. When I made repairs and additions I just used electrical tape and you couldn't tell the difference.

-Hal
I could!!

I made and repaired harnesses before I became a 'real' electrician.

I used black tape just like you did. I tried to find a supplier of the loom wrap the factory use to no avail. I worked on show cars and tried to be as perfect as possible.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I made and repaired harnesses before I became a 'real' electrician.
Same here.

My first car was a '65 Corvair Corsa 140hp, 4-speed that I paid $25 for. I had to replace a couple of feet of the main wiring harness over the left half-axle. I got the wire from a junk harness, soldered and taped each connection, then wrapped the bundle.

That began my career as a wrap artist. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.